Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be nice if GM had more natural looking wheels? Sure, small scale cars have a lot of 'interpretation' added to their scale models, but from what I can see, GM's are very accurate otherwise.

In summary, the wheels are two to three times too thick. Placing the GM's next to the HW 100%/CoolCollectibles/KaliKustoms or Shelby Collectibles, or the old Ertl AM series, their body castings are comparable in detail/quality... but the wheels are, to put it mildly, grossly too wide... they almost look goofy.

Any thoughts?

PS. The only GMs that I have of the more recent castings with reasonable wheels widths are new mustangs with the spoked rims... but that's it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had the same thoughts about the tires ... they always struck me as way too wide. Don't get me wrong -- love the GL lineup and my GMs, but the wheels are a bit on the ultra-thick side :confused:.

Regards,
gr6120

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I think this has been the case on the earlier castings. However, have you taken a look at the wheels of the Shelby GT500? They are proportioned much better.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
even on the later cars... and the series where they mix stock with "custom"
..uh... how come, even on the "custom" models...keeping in mind these are Muscle Cars, not AWD models, ...why is there none with bigger wheels in the back?... seems like the classic way to "custom" a muscle car... seems like all the custom models are almost getting the "hood" treatment like Jada... with the huge rims and hardly any rubber for the tires...:(

·
Registered
704 Posts
Pablodragon said:
even on the later cars... and the series where they mix stock with "custom"
..uh... how come, even on the "custom" models...keeping in mind these are Muscle Cars, not AWD models, ...why is there none with bigger wheels in the back?... seems like the classic way to "custom" a muscle car... seems like all the custom models are almost getting the "hood" treatment like Jada... with the huge rims and hardly any rubber for the tires...:(
Its a major cost issue - Bigger rear wheels for custom models would require new castings (body, base, possibly interior) to accommodate them. As-is the way GL is doing the line is more authentic because for 99% of the cars in the 1960-Present range most guys never put big beefy meats on the back and instead opted for wide-track tires and nice rims all around. I for one am thrilled with the way they're currently handling the line. :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But Karl, they're toooooo wide!! Even with the fattest tires around, the GL's are still too wide!

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Karl said:
...As-is the way GL is doing the line is more authentic because for 99% of the cars in the 1960-Present range most guys never put big beefy meats on the back and instead opted for wide-track tires and nice rims all around....
Wow, wonder where that quote is from? I'd have to see the study in black and white to believe that! :lol: You must live live no where near the "motor" city..they call it that for a reason. Just got back from the Autorama we had here last week, and the customs there sure don't support it! Can post the pics...
on the other topic, I think there are very few, if any, 1/64 scale diecast that have realistic tires, either by width or height... JL may be close with some of the skinny rubber tires they put on a couple of there old Volkswagon bugs. Just try taking a few pictures of real, 1:1 cars, then take some of similar 1/64th scale cars...from the same angles... you will see how far off they are, not just GL, but mostly all....

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
The wider than accurate tires doesnt bother me much . The ones that try to get 100% , usually look too small on the 1/64 cars .. The bigger tires just look better for appearance , not necassarily for accuracy . The smaller tires JL has put on some recent cars , dont look good to me , might be the hubcap choice too , or the seemingly lesser quality of the whitewall printing on them ..
Greenlights '07 Shelby wheels / tires look too small for the car . The chrome torque thrusts look much more accurate for that car & the '07 Mustangs ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts