Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I asked you replied, you go it! I was hesitant to start another Chariot thread for fear of complete boredom for you guys, that's why I asked about any interest first. I haven't done any "how-to" stuff in a while, so it should be fun. I'll post photos, as well as links to videos on my website or Photobucket site. The website is still www.ratdaddystudios.com if you don't have it, and there is a seperate folder with all of these build photos in it, as well as Gallery folders for a lot of other builds of all kinds. My Photobucket name is "Finktim" if you wish to follow there, and the folder is "Chariot times two". I update both each time.

I am going to make all of my modifications to the kit first, for use of the Paragrafix photoetch kit. This thing is superb, and very user friendly. It brings your model to a level of unsurpassed detail. I have started with the grilles, then moved on to the dashboards. Having two kind of makes it easy for some "before/after" shots! Here's where I am so far.

Removing the molded grille with the Dremel tool.

Roughed out opening, time to clean it up by hand with files and X-Acto.

Cleaned up, ready for the new part.

Etched grille mounted from behind.

Comparative photo of new and old grille. Man this thing looks so nice!

Tools I used. Those Xuron sheers for photoetch parts are worth thier weight in gold. Available from Micromark Small Tools.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Interest? Of course there's interest! I love build threads, and yours looks like it's going to be a beaut. The Paragrafix details are sure bringing it to life. Will be watching and loving every bit of it. Two of them? Twice as much fun. Thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
That's looking super, Tim!

Question: What tool did you use to get the nice, round bends on the handles? They're perfectly round and don't show a bit of tooling marks on them. Nicely done.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's looking super, Tim!

Question: What tool did you use to get the nice, round bends on the handles? They're perfectly round and don't show a bit of tooling marks on them. Nicely done.
I use a small, smooth pair of pliers I got from MicroMark years ago. My wife used them for jewelry for many years. They are perfectly flat inside, with a rounded outside.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LED cans mounted inside scanner units

The wonderful Paragrafix photoetched insert for the storage rack floor

Lower grille screen in place

Parts cleaned and ready for paint

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
08/12/2012 update

I have been behind posting updates guys, too much going on. Lot's of paintwork, starting some sub-assemblies and lot's of test fitting as well.
Here's the two of them at this point...

The scanner units are complete, just need to clear the decals and mount the LED's inside.

I used gloss aluminum and light gunmetal on the units to give them some contrast.

The Paragrafix etch/decal sets are just fantastic!

I keep the builds in these old display boxes to keep things organized and dust-free.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
OK, I asked you replied, you go it! I was hesitant to start another Chariot thread for fear of complete boredom for you guys, that's why I asked about any interest first.
The Chariot has always had a special place in my heart and I never tire of following another build, as for being crazy for doing two, well, I'm right there with you in that pursuit......;) How are you going to handle your canopies? I finally did mine using "Bare-Metal" Chrome foil for the outside and Lou's orange Vinyl on the inside. I never knew just how easy that foil is to work with and how nice it can turn out, IMHO, you can't get as good a result with paint..... Can't wait for more pictures, they are looking great so far......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Chariot has always had a special place in my heart and I never tire of following another build, as for being crazy for doing two, well, I'm right there with you in that pursuit......;) How are you going to handle your canopies? I finally did mine using "Bare-Metal" Chrome foil for the outside and Lou's orange Vinyl on the inside. I never knew just how easy that foil is to work with and how nice it can turn out, IMHO, you can't get as good a result with paint..... Can't wait for more pictures, they are looking great so far......:thumbsup:
Thanks! I feel the same way about this kit, and it really is just so nicely done by Moebius. I'm using Lou's masks as well, will paint the silver on the canopy, and use aluminum bare metal on the body trim.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Paragrafix photoetch set is magnificent.

These make the perfect chrome headlight bezels!

Tackling the robot....

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The B9 robot is very tedious to add the etched parts to, but well worth the effort! (My eyes were buggin' out of my head!) I have almost 90 minutes work in EACH of the robots so far!

What a difference!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wrapped a very fine soft solder around the post of the scanner antennae and solar panel. It will simulate the flexible rubber cover that was on the real Chariot.

End result....

I did basic assembly on the front two figures so I can fit the controls in around the wiring. These were pretty rough this time, going to take a lot of putty work to make them look good. (No offense to Drew, because I love the fact that we even have them! They make this kits come alive!)

This is how I paint. I spent 2 hours scraping mold seams off of all the bumpers, handles, roof rack, etc; Now it's time to paint!

My garage paint studio....

Meanwhile back inside....

1 - 20 of 115 Posts