Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swan –ship of Dol Amroth diorama for those who like Tolkien’s work. The Knights of Dol Amroth were omitted from the LotR trilogy of films which was a shame.

This diorama represents a Swan-ship of Dol Amroth about to come alongside a Corsair ship. This is not a diorama of a depicted scene from the books. But could have happened during the War of the Ring.

All figures are by Mithril Miniatures and the ship is a 1/72nd Crusader Cog by Zvesda models (a very well cast and detailed IP ship kit). Although the ship’s scale is smaller than the Mithril Miniatures figures they fit together well.

I am indebted to the unknown artist whose sail design I came across on the web, unfortunately I cannot credit whoever it was as I do not have a name for them.

The sea is made of modelling clay and casting powder mixed very watery to give a smooth finish. Painted in blue with a green wash to dull down the blueness, I added some fine lines with a lining brush to depict the way water seems to look when there is a swell etc. This was a tip I picked up from the late Bob Ross who produced some very nice oil paintings, and the idea transferred easily enough from 2D to 3D.

Technically I still have to add some shields to the sides of the ship, but these will have to wait a while.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Very nice job on that, extremely detailed and you can tell you put some effort into doing those figures that are so small. I just got he blue ray extended edition of the trilogy for Xmas so that is on my agenda to watch soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts