Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a older used Lightning? Are there anyways to tell the year? Are there any improvements? What are they? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
As far as I know, no real way to determine the exact year.

There are some changes. The front hubs now have the bearings in the hubs, not the steering block. The LR shock position is also at the rear of the trailing arm and not forward of the axle.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I am not sure what I was thinking. The Lightning chassis did not have the shocks offset like I described, been a long week. The older versions did have the left rear shock mounted in board. It went through the top rail and was at more of an angle. The newer, not sure what year it changed the LR shock is more straight up.

Sorry for the misinformation.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure what I was thinking. The Lightning chassis did not have the shocks offset like I described, been a long week. The older versions did have the left rear shock mounted in board. It went through the top rail and was at more of an angle. The newer, not sure what year it changed the LR shock is more straight up.

Sorry for the misinformation.
ok thx. i appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I think the older cars also used metric pins in the front a arm where the newer cars use standard size. I think 08 was the change but not totally sure. older cars couldn't lay the motor down without removing a cross brace

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I forgot about the pin change.

My Sportsman chassis is a '04 I think and I am laying the engine down in it. I am not sure if the previous owner removed a brace or not.

My GN chassis, which is an '09 had the engine layed down from the factory, Iwould really have to get to comparing the two to find the differences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts