Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I was wondering if anyone can help me in finding some Orange Metalic Paint..I need it for a a project car I am building for a friend..I am tying to duplicate his 79 Camaro he owns and his car is Orange Metalic..Can some point me in the right direction ? I have been searching but no luck as of yet...Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i dont know where you are located, but theres probably an automotive paint supplier in your area that can sell you the exact color you want (as long as you dont mind buying a pint of it). if its a factory stock color, you can look it up by make and model.
here in the motor city theres a place called Painters Supply and Equipment that specializes in auto body paint. even the most exotic stuff is available there.
the problem you may run into is that you might have to find a paint with a finer pearlescense than the original paint because of the difference in scale. the same pearl thats on the actual car might look too coarse on the model.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! I have been looking on line,, I don't was to use the paint he painted the car with because it also needs a clear on top and auto paint is not really what i want to use ,, I would pefer a peal to a meatal flake because of scale.. thanks Jeff

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I came up with a solution to my search for Orange metal flake paint..
I painted the car with a base of glod metalic paint then top coated it with Boyds roadstar florida orange pearl .. It worked out great pictures to follow when it is complete . I am building a 79 camaro for a young co-worker of mine .I am building it to replicate his real camaro

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Well that's good news MG, only 3 weeks to get satisfaction. You could have had to search a long time. We'll hold you to your word on the pictures !!
Dabbler

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
If you are airbrushing,wouldn't mixing gloss yellow to red metallic paint do the trick.Providing,of course,that red metallic is easier to get than orange metallic.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
xsavoie said:
If you are airbrushing,wouldn't mixing gloss yellow to red metallic paint do the trick.Providing,of course,that red metallic is easier to get than orange metallic.
what works with wavelengths of light doesn't necessarily work with chemical pigments... if you don't believe that, try mixing a nice vivid violet using red and blue paints.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about mixing the orange to paint this car ..But I went with the rattle cans.. The kid I am building the car for is happy with the color and he bought the paint..It is close enough to his car that he thinks it is great.. If he had any of the paint left that he painted his car with I would have went with that.. But I thought I would just pass along what I did in case anyone else wanted to use the information... Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Thanks for sharing MG, that's what the forum is all about. Glad your plan worked out.
Dabbler

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Razor.. Your right about mixing paint.. I am a manger of a paint store and I tint paint everyday .. Color therory aside .. I have to tint paint buy eye so to speak , the color computers and, the spectropohtometers are great tools but some times they just don't make it.. My store has a reputation of mixing custom colors and we do a good job my customers love the fact that I can do that for them ..So Orange sometimes in not just red and yellow ...But get vivid violet sometimes litte bit of magenta helps Jeff

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok ! It's done! But to be honest with you I haven't figured out how to post any image here.. maybe I wil post in my gallery ..Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Hey that looks like it came out pretty good ! Sucker looks like it's doing 60 standing still !! How did your friend like it ?
Dabbler

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Dab! I haven't given it to him yet. I just finished it .. How do like my custom cowl induction hood? The kit didn't come with one to I had to make it. It is extra high becuse that is what the kid wanted..Man I hope those tiny little mirrors stay on! Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
"Man I hope those tiny little mirrors stay on! Jeff"

Yup, in modeling jargon technical terms that's called "crossing your fingers" LOL ! I think the scoop looks good, gives it a "power" look. I'm sure your buddy will love it.
Dabbler

1 - 17 of 17 Posts