Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a ICE Charger I just bought. Evertone at the track seems to think my power issues on the track come down to charging. I run 4.8v NiCd 1600mAh Spec Pacs for oval racing. Just about everyone claims to have a peak charge of over 8v and state thier batteries will maintain a 6v plus charge after a rest.

I cannot get new or old packs to charge above about 5.6v and the seem to hold around 5.4v. Can some one tell me if the ice charger will charge a battery to a 8v peak and charge the battery so it seems to hold a 6v plus charge.

I looking or some one that can tell me what a recommended settings in this charge to get the most out of it without starting a fire.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Why don't you charge your batteries, or have someone else charge your batteries with their charger to determine if your charger is bad, or your batteries are bad? The Ice is a good all around charger and should meet your requirements, but again, no charger will work if the pack is bad, or has a dead cell....
JMO
Don

·
Registered
430 Posts
How hot are your packs when they peak? If they're not around 130 degrees you're not getting a full charge (your peak detect may be set too low).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just charged two packs 1 @6.5A and 1 @8.0A, both hit peak voltage at ~110F.

My peak detect was set at the highest it will go for Nicads 25mv/Cell

Does anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
yes hank is right. as long as the battery is fully charged then the lower it peaks at is typically better. the higher it is can be a sign of the pack goin bad. mike V said that on another thread and he is right. but if your still slow then possibly your not even getting your battery fully charged. does it come off the charger warm?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts