Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I am brand new to this site and looking for some help. My husband has been collecting miniature drag and funny cars (I think they are considered die cast) for 20 plus years. I am having a hard time finding a collectors guide for their value. Can someone please help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Welcome to Hobby Talk. A price guide is just that. A guide. It is NOT the absolute. One method of figuring value is to check the secondary market (ebay, for example). Don't go by the seller's asking price - go by the average selling price. Sometimes, a seller will start an auction at 99cents and the item will skyrocket in price because more than one collector has to have it; sometimes the item won't even sell. Sometimes a seller thinks he has gold but the buying public views it as lead.
The economy has an impact on diecast values, so keep that into consideration. Your husband might have a very rare Bruce Larson car that's even signed and it may or may not command an attractive price. By the same token, I think a lot of Don Garlits stuff does well, in general.
Perhaps someone here can give you more useful information.
By the way, if your husband is looking to sell, there is a Swap & Sell forum here that can be used to test the waters - and it's free. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Another problem with books is that by the time they are written or updated, printed, and make it to the market, they can be wildly inaccurate since things can fluctuate quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Another problem is that you are looking for a niche item - the majority of price guides on the market are brand specific, such as Hot Wheels or Matchbox. I don't know of any price guide that covers Racing Champion, Action, and some of the other big players in the NHRA diecast market.

You might be able to find a "Beckett Racing" magazine with a small list of the funny cars, but I don't know where you can find a full list.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Welcome to the board and I too suggest that you try the Swap and Sell. But don't hesitate to ask questions here we are all willing to try and help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts