Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to pick up some diecast reference books and I'm looking for recommendations. I currently use Tomarts for HW (Great book for anybody considering one you won't be let down) so I'm set on HW. But, what are good books for older MB (reg wheels and/or Super Fast), Corgi, Playart, Tootsie Toys etc. Maybe even books on Tin toys, steel toys or just vintage toys in general.

I'm not looking for a price guide, although it helps to figure rarity, but more of a guide book on years made, variations etc. I'd like learn more about different brands and and old toys in general. Maybe a general all around book for old toys and other books that focus on just one brand of diecast.

So, what do you use, what would you recommend and why do you like it? :wave:

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I'm looking to pick up some diecast reference books and I'm looking for recommendations. I currently use Tomarts for HW (Great book for anybody considering one you won't be let down) so I'm set on HW. But, what are good books for older MB (reg wheels and/or Super Fast), Corgi, Playart, Tootsie Toys etc. Maybe even books on Tin toys, steel toys or just vintage toys in general.

I'm not looking for a price guide, although it helps to figure rarity, but more of a guide book on years made, variations etc. I'd like learn more about different brands and and old toys in general. Maybe a general all around book for old toys and other books that focus on just one brand of diecast.

So, what do you use, what would you recommend and why do you like it? :wave:
The most common books for Matchbox seem to be by Charlie Mack and something called "the Stannard". Those books start you off on a good footing but I have seen some websites claiming "new, unknown and undocumented variations that aren't in the book", simply because the Internet connects people and collectors so quickly. Still, I wanted to mention those. :wave:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kiwi. I'll look in to those. :thumbsup:

Anybody else have any suggestions? I guess nobody uses books anymore........

·
Registered
308 Posts
books on diecast

Thanks Kiwi. I'll look in to those. :thumbsup:

Anybody else have any suggestions? I guess nobody uses books anymore........
If you are looking for an encyclopedia on manufacturers of small scale diecast in general; which has short summaries of all the known manufacturers we knew about when published in 2006, some copies are still available It is reviewed on Amazon.com under main author Sahakangas . I was a coauthor. Email me at [email protected] if interested in a copy.

Dave Weber

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
The one I have for Matchbox is the one metioned earlier, it is by Charlie Mack, and is called, The Encyyclopedia of Matchbox Toys.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great suggestions guys! :thumbsup: I think I'll pick up the for mentioned MB and Corgi books.

Anybody know of anything for Dinky, Playart or Tootsie?

@ Dave Weber - Dave, The book looks quite interesting. I'll be contacting you this evening on picking up a copy. :thumbsup:

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
The Playart Wikipedia page lists this one as a reference:

Johnson, Dana. 1998. Collector's Guide to Diecast Toys, second edition. Padukah, Kentucky: Collector Books, A division of Schroeder Publishing, Inc.

I'd personally love to write a book about Playart (since it is my fav brand). But I don't have extensive knowledge, just what I've seen on the internet.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
The most common books for Matchbox seem to be by Charlie Mack and something called "the Stannard". Those books start you off on a good footing but I have seen some websites claiming "new, unknown and undocumented variations that aren't in the book", simply because the Internet connects people and collectors so quickly. Still, I wanted to mention those. :wave:
I have the Charlie Mack one and the one by Shiffer.
It seems to be the consencus that the Shiffer book is much better.
Having both, I have to agree.

Also, much of the info you're looking for can be found on various sites.
Christian Faulkenstiener's site and the vintagebritishdiecast are really great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts