Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I got the Best Buy edition with the 4 metal insignia badges. They're quite well made.

Don't know if I've ever seen a DVD release with so many special editions...!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I just got one today at Best Buy here in Canada.

It's snap together and appears to be styrene. I'll take some pics of the parts as soon as I'm able, which won't be able to happen until Sunday.

The main saucer measures 5 1/8" in diameter, though. It's just big enough to hold the Blu-Ray discs. You access the discs by pushing the impulse engine and it lifts up and off from the saucer back.

The plastic seems to be softly textured and by angling it against the light differently, there's a barely discernable quasi-aztecing - more like random squares and rectangles - showing. It's VERY subtle. Can't seem to find that on the rest of the ship, though.

The engines do NOT light up, although with the three screws under the nacelle, it should just come apart. While test fitting, I accidentally snapped the dorsal all the way in, so I took the secondary hull apart easily enough and pressed in the snap lock tabs to allow the dorsal to pop back out. The instructions advise not attempting to take it apart after assembly or damage could result. I can believe that now! The engine pylons are simple curved pieces of sheet plastic so any wiring for lighting will have to be run externally. I don't think parts sag will be an issue anytime soon; the whole thing is incredibly light in weight!

The stand comes flat and you fold it to insert the tabs into corresponding slots in the secondary hull. Unlike the rest of the ship, it's a much more flexible plastic.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I'm sorry but that thing looks to be nothing but a toy which brings me to a question is it snap together?
well yes it IS a toy.... but more than that, its a very clever dvd case. for someone to think: dvd round + saucer round = hey we can make..... is a heck of a stroke of inspiration that one doesnt usually see in packaging.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I personally like the new Enterprise- looks meaner and tougher. The original always looks like it was desisned from a flying model rocket point of view. I know some peaople don't like change but I would have been dissapointed if they had the original in the movie. Look at all the guys who cried when they did the refit for the first motion picture. This one will be accepted by most as well in time.
Steve

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I'm getting kinda use to it ...I understand why the change 'obviously' but the original will always be just that THE ORIGINAL!

As for the film....IT KICKS ASS! :thumbsup: and makes up for the last 22 years of 'mostly' GARBAGE! even my girlfriend loved it and she was partial to old Trek.

Don't get me wrong TNG was great and got better as it went on.
Voyager was at least some what 'fresh' and original with 'new' Aliens to deal with.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm going to wait until the model comes out and buy several to make some of the other ships in the movie, and of course a reliant!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Works for me!!

I watched the New Star Trek and the extras over the weekend.

I came to a few conclusions.

1. It is a great movie that captures all of the good from TOS and moves it into "Today's" audience. I was raised on VTTBOTS, LIS and Star Trek TOS. At first I was appalled and shocked that someone would even consider retelling TOS. Now I am very HAPPY with both.

2. I really like the new Enterprise. While the TOS Enterprise will always be #1 to me, The JJprise works. The interior is much more organic and more believable as a sub or naval vessel.

3. Characterizations work for me. I like the new "crew". They kept the essence and made it work for today. While it is still hard to not see William Shatner as Kirk, they were able to pull it off.

4. As soon as I stopped comparing the new to TOS and sat back and watched it, I concluded that I look forward to the next movies.

And I love my DVD Enterprise! It has Zoom-appeal!:woohoo:

Mark Dean

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
As soon as I stopped comparing the new to TOS and sat back and watched it, I concluded that I look forward to the next movies
Could not agree more. Nice display of wisdom :)

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I got the Target set, drove 30 minutes home opened and built it, then looked at the DVD case- BLUE RAY EDITION (in small print- I don't have a blue ray player). I call Target and explain and they told me to "bring it back to exchange it for the regular DVD". Drove 30 mins back to exchange it- They wanted an extra $2.64 for the regular set? After my loud protest and two managers later, I drove back 30 minutes home, opened and built the Enterprise, and watched the movie about 5 times.
I like the model- its prepainted, and the decals don't look cheasy. I DON"T BUILD SPACESHIP MODELS (I don't have the time or patience), but I WILL buy and display an NICE ship like this!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts