Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the "Powerd by FORD" thread. But since I didn't have any pics of it on hand and had to bring it over to PB, it made me wonder if I've ever posted it. Considering the influence the Lola GT had on FORD's bid for LeMans domination and the humiliation of Ferrari :rolleyes:; I'd think there would be more examples in die-cast. This one is a Politoys. I'm sure there are some collector examples of this car but PT is the only ones I've seen to make an example.

Anyone got any more? PT or otherwise...

If I've posted this before please forgive me. At least they're new pics.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
I for one don't remember you posting it, and I think I might, as I dig the car!!

Your right, not a car you see modeled very often. Very cool!

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Lola GT Mk6 was track worthy in 1963. It acted as test bed, or inspiration, for the FORD GT 40 project. It did race at LeMans in '63 Haven't looked to refresh my memory but I don't recall it being very successful. Think it retired. There was an odd story about the tail lamps. Something like they stole a pair off the back end of a Cortina or something like that. But yeah... It's not very well known. And it should be.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
....There was an odd story about the tail lamps. Something like they stole a pair off the back end of a Cortina or something like that. But yeah... It's not very well known. And it should be.
Oh! Now that you say that, early style Cortina tail lamps look just like Lola GT lenzes with an inverted 3-point star design.
Very cool! And I bet it's true.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The story I recall from Road & Track (and I don't mean to spread rumors if I'm wrong) was when the LeMans sanctioning body set up the special GT class in the early '62 they made the GT's kind of street worthy. Spare tire, passenger seat, running lights etc. This came as new, news to Broadley. So to make it meet the specs they ripped a pair of tail lamps off of a Cortina and quickly adapted then to the back end. At least that is how I remember it being told.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts