Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched the threads several times over the last couple of days.

Once apon a time John P. was good enough to post a very thorough list of popular modeling scales with notations as to what they were usually used for (1:28th - WWI armor, different railroad and aircraft, battleship scales, etc).

I had saved it in a seperate file for a year or two but lost that file over a year ago when my hard drive was fried during a storm.

If John P. or anyone else would like to help list the different commonly used modeling scales and descriptions I would greatly appreciate it.

Plus I'll back it up this time! :)

Eventually!

Probably!

More than likely...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:roll: :lol:

You are a deep wellspring of information.

None of it had anything to do with what I was talking about.

But the depth of your knowledge is awe-inspiring nonetheless...:thumbsup:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
Well, I think Nova about covered it! :lol:

Are you sure it was me, Chuck, 'cause I don't think I can actually name them all!
I'll give it a shot off the top of my head -

• 1/2500 - the spaceship scale of the gods (according to Griff)
  • 1/1400 - the actual best scale for spaceships ;)
  • 1/1000 - WOULD have been the new spaceship scale of the gods if RC2 hadn't screwed us
  • 1/700 - ships
  • 1/350 - ships
  • 1/144 - small models of very large vehicles incl. real spacecraft and large aircraft
  • 1/96 - ships and some spacecraft
  • 1/87 - HO railroad
  • 1/72 - most popular airplane scale, plus many other things
  • 1/48 - my favorite airplane scale (the small ones ain't too small and the big ones ain't too big!)
  • 1/35 - most popular military vehicle and military figure scale (called 54mm scale for figures, based on their height)
  • 1/32 - large airplanes and some cars
  • 1/25 - cars
  • 1/24 - cars and very large airplane models
Figure kits can be anything like 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/8 or 1/12.

Ummmm.... Ummmm...

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
I wouldn't call 1/28 common, btw, because I only ever heard of three WWI airplanes kits by Revell in that scale, ever.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
1/220 Z scale railroad
1/200 some large aircraft and small spacecraft (e.g., airliners, ...; space shuttle, Mercury, Saturn, ...; Vulcan Shuttle, STV Shuttle, ...)
1/160 N scale railroad
1/50 diecast construction/mining vehicle scale

(not to mention 1/537, 1/635, 1/650, 1/670, etc. and FTB (fit the box) scales)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure it was you, because I remember you going into detail about the 1:28th scale. I believe you said it was used pretty widely for a well known line of World War I Biplanes/fighters.

Thanks for whatever you can remember and post.

And thanks to uss columbia too.

Anyone else who can add to it feel free to join in add links or whatever...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
"1/2500 - the spaceship scale of the gods (according to Griff)"

I'm willing to bet that might have something to do with his having to carry his stuff three-quarters of the way around the globe on a regular basis.

I've seen pics of at least some of his 2500th scale stuff.

I can't imagine how much space they would all take up in 350th! :eek:

I've found the idea of 1400 scale kind of attractive.
Being able to have fleets of ships that could be kept in a relatively small space.

But 1400th and 2500th do pretty much eliminate the possibility of lighting.

But it is still kind of attractive to be able to have entire fleets take up very little space.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"1/35 - most popular military vehicle and military figure scale (called 54mm scale for figures, based on their height)"

Does that include airplanes as well as ground vehicles?

"1/24 - cars and very large airplane models"

are there any scales used for autos larger then 1/24?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
John P said:
  • 1/2500 - the spaceship scale of the gods (according to Griff)
Of yer gonna give me a hard time, at least get the quote right! I've never said that 1/2500 is the scale of the gawds (that's some of the other guys). I've said that 1/2500 is The Sacred Scale - 'cause it is. :D

Chuck_P.R. said:
"1/2500 - the spaceship scale of the gods (according to Griff)"

I'm willing to bet that might have something to do with his having to carry his stuff three-quarters of the way around the globe on a regular basis.
Close. It deifnitely has it's added appeal, tho.
I've seen pics of at least some of his 2500th scale stuff.

I can't imagine how much space they would all take up in 350th! :eek:

I've found the idea of 1400 scale kind of attractive.
Being able to have fleets of ships that could be kept in a relatively small space.
I tried to figure it just for 1/537 scale (my original favorite) and about lost my mind. Even 1/1400 scale is space prohibitive for my tastes. I'd have to win The Lottery so that I could afford a house with a wing all my own just to display my models at any of the larger scales.
But 1400th and 2500th do pretty much eliminate the possibility of lighting.
Depending on the medium the kit was made, it's not at all beyond the realm of possibility. The styrene kits are lightable, tho not necessarily the way that some folks might wish to light them. Still, at that size, you don't need all kinds of fany lights anyhow.

Something else that's relatively new is that you have companies such as Absolute Models, Gizmotron Models and a few individuals who are making very nice detailing decals for 1/2500 scale ships. Absolute and Gizmotron have Refit decal sheets that cover the whole model with the aztec pattern, standard markings and the like. Gizmotron now has a 1/2500 TOS set w/the aztec pattern (ala' Defiant from ENT's "In a Mirror, Darkly" and the TOS Remastered episodes), as well. That allows you to have a model that looks a lot less like a toy - tho still pretty darned small.
But it is still kind of attractive to be able to have entire fleets take up very little space.
That's a good sized part of why the scale appeals to me. I can have multiples of the same class that might have minor variations - such as having a TOS 1701, Phase II 1701, Refit and a modified Refit or different Miranda-class ships. I just can't feasibly do that with larger scales.

Er... Anyhow, sorry to hijack the thread. We now return you to your regularly scheduled chat about the various modeling scales. :)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
"1/35 - most popular military vehicle and military figure scale (called 54mm scale for figures, based on their height)"

Does that include airplanes as well as ground vehicles?
There have been a few 1/35 helicopters in recent years to go along with existing 1/35 military stuff, but as rule, no.

"1/24 - cars and very large airplane models"

are there any scales used for autos larger then 1/24?
Yup. I've seen 1/12 and 1/8 as well, and of course die cast in 1/18. But I'm not really into cars much.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks guys! Especially John P.'s extensive list and patient explanations.

It's a crying shame we didn't get more 1/1000th scale stuff.

Though it is encouraging to see a few GKit manufacturers doing them.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
1/537 is AMT 1701 refit / -A, Reliant, Klingon Bird of Prey, and numerous Trek Garage Kits. (I even have a partially built 1701-D in this scale that I'll never finish.)

1/635 is the original AMT 1701, probably the Klingon Battlecruiser, and perhaps the Romulan BOP (scale debatable).

I haven't actually seen any 1/650s, but the AMT Reliant, BOP, and Cutaway 1701 all print "1/650" on the box (in some box versions). None of these models are actually 1/650.

1/678 or somesuch is Monogram Voyager.

So... 1/678 is FTB scale. 1/537 started out as FTB, but there's a line of models in this consistent scale. (Visit Griff's shipyard for a bunch of examples.)

REL's 1701-E (and upcoming 1701-D) are in the 1/650 range. I think he said they are actually 1/635 or so, in scale with the original AMT 1701, though. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts