Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!!

This thread is intended to show a step-by-step sequence of pictures portraying my experience building the Moebius LIS Space Pod.

It's not a WIP thread, because the kit is almost ready.

I decided to start this project when I were finishing my Moebius LIS Chariot and realized that the canopy didn't match the front face of the base by some 3 milimeters. It was a huge frustation, mainly because the perspective of the work and time that would be necessary to fix the problem, with the risk involved in damage the dashboard so meticulously prepared. You can see the thread here.

Then, I decided to put the Chariot aside, taking a break from that project and making something else to cool down my brain.
So, I started building the space pod, which proved to be another headache.

Then, I realized that almost all my problems with this hobby lies on my arrogance in trying to go beyond my skills, besides not to plan adequately the use of the kits' limited internal spaces to fit all the electronics required to satisfy my megalomaia, as you will have the opportunity to see following this thread.

I am going to post just some of pictures in a daily basis, to give opportunity to those who want to post questions about the building process.

I hope you enjoy the thread, although it is about an object already thoroughly discussed here at HT.

Feel free to make sugestions and critics. Although the kit is almost ready, as I have said, who knows if (and when) I will start it all over with another one. :wave:

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Hmm,

Timely as I am deciding on the Moebius small seaview and the SpacePod.

I'll follow your thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after the necessary preparation (washing, etc), I did the dry fit to see how much room there exists between the external hull and the inner walls to fit the electronics.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before all, I beg your pardon for the fact that the pictures being so large, the right part of them is below the HT add that now take almost 1/3 of the screen. I don't know whether it can be removed.

I cut out the raised instruments panels to lighting them with the help of Paragrafix photo etch kit.

On the first picture below, on the superior part of the wall on the left side, the raised panel most to the left doesn't need to be cut. It was a mistake.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Filling the gaps with thin styrene sheets to allow the passage of light from the LEDS from behind and to help making the FO's tips staying perfectly in 90º angle with the photo etch surface.

Some raised details were removed to be replaced later.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A piece of plastic to serve as support for a LED strip which will be used to light up the dashboard from behind. This way to do the thing proved to be a mistake, due to the interference with the FOs employed to make the lighting of the random flashing instruments on both sides of the dashboard. It would have been better put dedicated leds to each of the others raised panels.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made a box for the X Sensor divided in four parts, each corresponding to a 804 smd led bilinking in a random pattern.

The detailing of the interior of the Sniffer Sensor was a pure pedantic preciosity that later proved to be also useless, because you can see almost nothing through the Paragrafix sniffer grill. Well, it was amusing, anyway.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Those led strips will be used to light up the panels on both lateral inner walls and also the main console.

And here you see the "light cannons" which will be part of the random flasher circuit that I am going to use with FO to make the two blinking panels on the main console.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some PLCC LEDS soldered to wires. They are to the front and rear search lights, to the sniffer sensor lights, to both consoles of the rear wall at each side of the hatch.
Some of them I had to change for 0804 SMD LEDs.

Testing the flasher circuit.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I decided to put a non-slip "metal" floor in the kit. As I could not capture a single image of the third season's episodes showing the floor of the full mockup, I considered it would not be violating any canon.

The same can be said about the ceiling of the Space Pod. So I prepared a recess to be applied to it.

You can also see the cap of the X sensor with 5 tiny holes, each one corresponding to a 0804 smd led, being 4 of them random blinking leds and one (red) steady.

As for the three lights on the sniffer sensor, I use strips of FO painted green, red and yellow lighted from behind by two PLCC LEDs.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts