Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about updating and going to LiPo Batteries for next year. More likely I will need a new charger also.

Is there any comments on type of size of battery I need, brand name ect.... I was told you will also need to run a voltage reg. Comments?

Currently I am running 3300 sony batteries 5 cell with a Futaba radio and spekrum receiver.

Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Unless you are running High Voltage servos I would suggest using a regulator.

As far as battery a 2S pack 2600mah or higher from any of the popular brands will work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No, Jeff is running a 6 cell Ni-Mh and dad is running a 5 cell Ni-Mh.

The only benfit of running li-po is they don't die off like the Ni-Mh. They usually have a little more power then a 6 cell but in this case it wouldn't matter since it would go through the voltage regulator. And yes, they have to have regulator as a 1 cell li-po isn't enough (3.7 volt) and a 2 cell is too much (7.4 volt).

Couple bad things about them is they are dangerous and you have to be careful charging them. You also can't discharge them to far or they might no take a charge again. I would stay with Ni-Mh just because they are safer and a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
I have never seen anyone have a problem with Lipos at the tracks where I run. That includes 2 cell and 1 cell classes, carpet oval, carpet on road, dirt oval, and dirt offroad. I have seen several NIMHs explode. Anything can be misused. Most cases where there have been problems with Lipos or NIMHs have been operator error. I do think NIMHs are more prone to problems. No one knows why one of the NIMHs let go. It was charging in a normal manner at a normal rate with the racer setting right there with it and then suddenly a cell ruptured and then a second. One piece landed on track and burned the carpet slightly. Another just missed a racers head and stuck in the wall above his head.

I never force discharge a Lipo, I just run it till the cut off kicks in and then charge it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a li-po puff up before but not explode, must of either took a hard hit or overheated, I'm not sure what exactly happened.

If you go li-po, it would be a good idea to run some kind of cut off so you don't ruin it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well, if you run it until it cuts off that could be a problem as a receiver pack.

Nothing really wrong with Li-po's if treated properly and they do have the advantages mentioned above, but why bother. Your going to need the weight of a NiMH battery pack anyway. You can put the pack almost anywhere on the car where you want to add weight. You won't need a new charger and a separate 2S balancer and the high cost of the Li-po's. I run 5-cell 3300's or 3800's mounted right behind the LF tire. Old 12th scale cells made up as a 5-cell pack. No muss, no fuss, no grief.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mike, I've been running one in my open wheel a 2s, smaller, lighter.
You do have to have a regulator and they don't charge fast. I have a
special charger that works great. You want to plug it in when you are
between heats, the first 10 or 15 minutes make a lot more differance then
the last 15 minutes. They charge in sort of a log scale. I've had no
problems, make sure you don't discharge to far, they don't like it.
I can get you more info if you'd like when I get home from work.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I have been running lipo's in my car this season and love them. I cheaped out and ordered some from Hong Kong,

http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-7-4v-4000mAh...Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3c9ce4a273

Charge the pack the night before and race all day. Practice, 2 heats and main, never have had to charge, uses about 1900 mah. I use high end digital servos for steering and the futaba s5050 for trottle/brake. Also using the Orion voltage regulator because it can handle the higher current.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I personally use a 2600 with no regulator. I use to use one but have gone through two of them. Bad things happen if those regulators go out. There are quite a few of us up here that run them with no regulator. The only thing you have to worry about is your throttle servo. If you dont have a decent one it will burn up a lot faster. I use a Hitec 7955 and have used it over a year now without a regulator.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I have had lipo's in both of my cars for 2 years now, never any problems with them but I did have trouble with the regulators being the weak link. When the car acted wierd (lost steering momentarily) I unplug the regulator out of the system and plug in a new one to fix the problem, from what I was told the regulator is the weakest part of the system. I have only put (1) new regulator in each car. I charge with a ICE charger and run all day with plenty of power. I am using a 5000/28C 2s pack. I also use them in my radio, I charged them at the start of racing this spring and am still racing indoors with that same charge today. If you read how to charge them properly and charge them that way no problems. I use the same battery during the winter in my carpet cars and switch them back as a reciever pack in the summer for 1/4 scale racing.

Dave D

·
Registered
86 Posts
the reg shouldn't be a problem as long as it rated with enough amps and have air flow.
this is my second year of runnin lipos with a regulator and no problems.
i use a thunder power 4400 soft pack very lite weight and can run all day of racing and practice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts