Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to LiPo, but considering it for some dirt oval racing in mod class. Curious as to what brand/type to go with ,and what charger to use for it. something simple and reliable, as i am sure i can get more power than traction in the dirt

·
Registered
219 Posts
Lipo

I'm running the Orion "carbon" 3200 mah version(about $80.00) Orion "platinum" 4800 mah if more capacity needed ($120.00) Carbon still has plenty left after 4min race though. Charger Orion Advantage avionic( about $75.00) No problems with either!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I've being using the Orion 3200 and their Advantage charger. There is plenty of run time left with the Novak 10.5 in a pan car. The Orion packs would be the only ones I would recommend because of their hard case and great quality control.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
No way! You use a connector like this:

I guess I should have dusted off that tire dust first! LOL

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
hard case

Do both of the batteries being discussed have a hard case? I have heard that us car guys should stay with the had case Lipo's is that true or just one of those urban legends?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
It's hard to tell from the picture above but both the Orion 3200 and 4800 batteries are in a hard formed case.

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
I was wondering about how the cross weight would be affected by the lighter battery. Looks like you guys have a handle on it!

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Don,

Our series runs a 38 oz rule across the board, I think the AZ weight was 41 oz (Which I'm sure is either the BRL's or ROAR's)

I personally am opposed to the high weight rules being used. We were 42 oz for Expert Classes and 44 oz for Sportsman classes back in the NORRCA days, and when we dropped the 2 cells we dropped the weight to 38 oz for all (since rarely did we have enough entries to split the classes)

That being said, running my car at normal weight w/ the 4 cell 4200 and the 10.5 b/l in Phoenix my car was 43.2 and only once have I seen anyone make it under the minimum weight at one of my races...and it's nice sometimes knowing you'll probably NEVER DQ someone for a weight violation...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Oh, I guess I'm used to Stockton bring 40oz. Josh's car weighs a tick over 40 oz with 4 cell and brushless. With lipo it was 37.8oz.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Thanks! And I hear they are basically 2 cells so no way to make into 4-cell? Only 3.7 volts which would never work for speedos and all...

So if they race straight up against 6 sub-c's which would win? Which has more voltage....

(YELLOW STRIPE) ROOKIE haha

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Mike, I have been working with the Orion 3200 Carbon back. It charges to 8.37 volts. The reason I am so specific is that is what it charges to “every time”. It is call a 2S 1P pack, meaning there are 2 cells in series for voltage and one in Parallel for added run time.

I have run it with the 4300 brushless motor with real good results and only use about one volt for the entire 4 min. run. It starts at 8.37 and comes off between 7.4 and 7.5 volts. Lap times only drop about .01 from start to end. I ran it 7 times in a row one night during testing “trying” to hurt it and it charged and ran exactly the same every time. I even charged it the night before for a test and it only dropped to 8.36 volts after sitting for 20 hours. I can’t imagine any standard 6 cell pack that would come close to comparing to the LiPo.

As for matching, I’m sure it will get to that but right now, there is no need. Like the post above said, you “balance” the cells and you do that yourself.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Mike, we have been runnig the Lipo/4300 for about 4 months now and at best we have come within 1 lap of our 4-cell mod track record. This is on a 200' banked asphalt track. 4-cell record Ken Collins (with 6x1) 64 4:02 Lipo 4300 Humpty 63 4:01 so the question about lipo/6-cell mod Lipo would win every time. 7.2 volts 6-cell pack and 7.4 volts for lipo pack. If you ran a 4.5 or 7 turn you could run 4800 MAH lipo with out any worries of dumping :thumbsup:

If anyone is looking for a great mod class for local races lipo/4300 is the way to go!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts