Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok just got ahold of 2 of these kits nice size but here is my problem both kits have no paint instruction in them telling you what to paint what I have tryed to search the net but no help there and most of the pics of the pt boats I find are all b/w I would like to do this kit as close as possable to the original so any help please send it to [email protected] :(

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
There's an FSM with an article about it, you might try and track down. IIRC it had been recently painted a forest green type color and had a 40 mm. retrofitted by tying it down on the deck. Or something like that. I didn't choose the name "Pygar" because I had a terrific memory.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,226 Posts
^Geez, those guys can't make up their minds, either!

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Well, since you have two, you could always do one in each color. Just make sure you post a pic when complete, whichever way you decide to paint her. Always a great model to build. Wouldn't mind having a 1:1 version for some leisurely boating or fishing. :eek:
Thanks, rr :thumbsup:

·
Registered
938 Posts
hi guys
do any pt boats still survive today? i have the revell pt boat on my to build list. built one as a kid
phil

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Battleship Cove in FallRiver Mass has 2 PT boats and there are several more out there that have been converted to fishing boats and things like that.
I did find that PT 796, which is at Battleship cove was repainted to PT 109 for JFK's inaugural parade.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,226 Posts
I've heard that Lou Costello had a PT boat converted to a private yacht for himself. Nice yacht, with three 1,000 hp Allisons, huh? Legend has it that competition was always so strong between Abbot & Costello, that Bud responded to Lou's PT boat by buying himself a surplus mine sweeper!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
John P said:
Nice yacht, with three 1,000 hp Allisons, huh?

Packard V-12's actually :)

http://www.pt-boat.com/packard/packard.html

I've got the big Dumas PT-109. 1/20 scale. 48" long.

It's got a Webra .61 glow powered marine engine.

It's one of my rare boating projects that got off track and never fully recovered. I also had an impossible time trying to get the color right (this was pre-internet and finding reference material was very difficult). So I remain very unhappy with the paint job (looks like a big green Xmas parade float).

For some reason, the hardware kit included a cheap pot metal control arm for the rudder which broke before the boat even hit the water. That would have been an unmitigated disaster...a runaway four foot long, fiberglass boat and 2hp engine turning at 10,000RPM.

I never actually used it in open water. I tried pool testing it but that didn't work. The boat has to be "thrown" into the water because if you just drop it, the sudden load on the prop stalls the engine. So trying it in a pool resulted in a 10 foot rooster tail which lasted for a about a second before the engine quit because the pool was too small to toss the boat forward.

However, I did do extensive engine runs with the boat on a stand. I took a large metal can and soldered a small piece of brass tubing to the bottom which I then connected to the engine's water jacket. This allowed water from the can to flow through the cooling jacket during dry land testing.

I'm am proud of a COUPLE of things on that boat. The engine installation is beautiful. I used a very expensive, aluminum racing boat engine mount with rubber isolating pads. And I made a fantastic exhaust system by silver soldering an exhaust manifold which vented out of the scale exhausts. It was incredible to watch...cooling water from the jacket was dumped into the exhaust pipe and exited the boat in plumes of steam.

One day I gotta properly finish that darn thing. I built it 10+ years ago and my fabrications skills have improved significantly since then.

·
Registered
938 Posts
i'll have to go to battle ship cove . i havent been there since i was a kid or a school trip once. i remember them having a sub. cool! thanks for the imfo. i didnt realize i had one of those bad boys right in my back yard

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The 796 hasnt been restored but the other has been restored and they cut small windows into the hull so you can see inside each compartment.
They also have a nice large sized PT boat model made for one of John Waynes war movies but not "They were expendable". Really beautiful model, my girlfriend had to almost drag me away from the PT boat building. Though she is insisting we go back again next year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Parts missing

Can anyone help me with 3 parts I missed place for the 109.Part numbers are 21,22,and 23.
I have 2 traxs motors running the boat.She will skim over the water.
geo81

1 - 13 of 13 Posts