Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some thoughts on areas of improvements or things that might make the show better. I have little control on the Warehouse side of things but PM/RC2 has always listened in the past so that area is open too.

Some examples.

1. more signs posted on how to get from the Marriott to the Century Center.
2. Better Century Center vendor unloading instructions.
3. Correct posted times for the Hospitality room.
4. Better guidlines set up for vendors who choose to attend the WS in person.

Some areas we are stuck with. For example, the facility. Only one hotel in town has the size requirements we need to pull this off so keep that type of thing in mind.

Things or questions on a more personal agenda may be best handled to e-mail me direct on.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

Mark:wave:

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Mark,

Maybe we good do a Rocket 1000 race with prizes (wls) or such, I believe MoparMarc said he would provide the track. If it requires a sponsor, let me know.

Thanks

Gerald

R

·
0 Posts
5. Official Hours for the Fest - and hold to them to allow Race area, auctions and vendors to get set for the public ahead of time each day. Maybe all would have to enter in the back door and have a pass.

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
My opinion is to have it more in the Summer time,that way,parents can bring their kids,or wouldn't have to worry about them missing school days.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
re

robmcin said:
5. Official Hours for the Fest - and hold to them to allow Race area, auctions and vendors to get set for the public ahead of time each day. Maybe all would have to enter in the back door and have a pass.
Agreed Rob.

I think the venue was stellar and aside from the stinky water the hotel was fine.

Improvements - require vendors to be there both days or stay home. Holes in the vendor tables were discouraging and will help to promote the full weekend.

Promote Sunday more - maybe events Sunday that are not held Saturday.

I will post more as I think about it.......

The layout was perfect and the extra room was awesome. DON'T change that!!

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Keep a hospitality room open for Sunday night, then we won't all have to go to Rob's room (poor Sherri)

·
Rocket Power
3,267 Posts
I agree with most of the ideas above for sure.

1/ RC2 to have dealer sale items available for pickup in Southbend with no additional shipping charge. I really don't think this will happen but it would be good

2/ summertime for sure so that I can bring all whole family and not worry about missing school. This is especially true for those of us traveling from further distances.

3/ open the vendor area at exactly the advertised time like the warehouse sale does. I got there just before the official noon opening time and there were folks already wandering around and waiting by my tables.

4/ Gravy for the dinner. I found the beef is dry otherwise.

5/ create proper seating areas and perhaps an open bar in the hospitality room. I know Kenny was willing to share his sour apple margaritas but there was only so much to go around. Make it more a party atmosphere.

6/ make it on the west coast ... right!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this years fest for sure but there is always room for improvement. Good job Mark !

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
tinywheels said:
I agree with most of the ideas above for sure.

1/ RC2 to have dealer sale items available for pickup in Southbend with no additional shipping charge. I really don't think this will happen but it would be good

2/ summertime for sure so that I can bring all whole family and not worry about missing school. This is especially true for those of us traveling from further distances.

3/ open the vendor area at exactly the advertised time like the warehouse sale does. I got there just before the official noon opening time and there were folks already wandering around and waiting by my tables.

4/ Gravy for the dinner. I found the beef is dry otherwise.

5/ create proper seating areas and perhaps an open bar in the hospitality room. I know Kenny was willing to share his sour apple margaritas but there was only so much to go around. Make it more a party atmosphere.

6/ make it on the west coast ... right!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this years fest for sure but there is always room for improvement. Good job Mark !
Gary

I love your open bar idea and obviously posted times. Did you want to step up and sponsor it?

Here are the fees.
50.00 for each bartender. House drinks start at 4.00 a drink. You have a choice of just beer pop and wine or you can go all out a full stocked bar. Let me know ASAP which way you want to go. I will pay for the room itself and you get full sponsor rights. There are certain times that the room must be open but the rest is up to you. I'd bank on a 300.00 a session cost. They will arrange the room as you see fit. You can go tables and chairs or leave the room open!

Three cheers for Gary!

R

·
0 Posts
So, what? We gonna have dueling Hospitality rooms??? :lol: I guess if Gary is going to have an open bar, he wins, we were just going to have beer, water and pop and some chips, kinda like this year, but on a schedule....... I guess we're just cheapa**es, huh??

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeesh Rob you played it all wrong! All wrong I tell ya!
You one up him, he one ups you, you one up him again, he one ups you AGAIN and THEN you back out!

We could have gotten a buffet line or at least hors d ovres. Now all we have is an open bar.

Three cheers for Gary!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
What about Friday. I liked Friday last year. You know maybe Friday and Saturday instead of Sunday or even Friday,Saturday, and Sunday :D

I also believe the vendors should be required to stay through the complete show and only reserve the tables that they can keep full.

Have a set time for vendors to set up and only let the vendors in.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Bob

Set up......I'm with you on this point, I really am but here is the problem, so I need anyone to shed some light on this topic.

Many people along with dealers/vendors are making a long trek and when they get here, they are SO excited, you can't keep them out. They want to help in any way they can and even if you don't need it, they still want to be a part of it. I understand this but who is going to step up and force these people out? Who do you draw the line with? How do you handle it without hurting feelings? Think of it, a guy just gets in from traveling 12 hours only to be told to get out until the show officially opens? I can remember this year Bobby just got in town and in a span of five seconds no less than four people popped in the Hosp room early. They wanted to see the event cars early and I thought I politly asked them to leave and you know what, they didn't. They did not leave until we did.

I hear ya Bob but think about the whole picture. How do we pull this off without hurting feelings or pi$$in' people off?

This is a great topic I'd really like to hear from all sides on. Perhaps the hosp. room from Gary's Tiny Wheels is a good alternative? Open that for early arrivals and keep set up only to dealers? No early pre-sales etc? I don't know but I'm all ears!

Help!!!!

Mark

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
mark, i think that the friday thing is great just the way it is! people that come in to town early get a chance to come in and look arround, meet and greet. maybe even pick up a few nice pieces of die-cast!i think the room we had aws great, nice and cool,plenty of room,what more could we ask for? just my 2 cents! BIGJOE!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
geralde61 said:
Mark,

Maybe we good do a Rocket 1000 race with prizes (wls) or such, I believe MoparMarc said he would provide the track. If it requires a sponsor, let me know.

Thanks

Gerald
Yes Gerald. I had the same idea. This could be done and would be a lot of fun. A true test of skill. ;)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
BOBB36 said:
What about Friday. I liked Friday last year. You know maybe Friday and Have a set time for vendors to set up and only let the vendors in.
Bob, I may be partly to blame here. Although I’m responsible for setting up and preparing to manage the Gravity Races, I couldn’t resist the opportunity to chat with those I’ve come to know through HobbyTalk and Lightning Fest the past few years. One of the best things about Lightning Fest to me is the camaraderie. As Mark mentioned, people would have gotten their feelings hurt if we had been hard nose about it. Like you mentioned, this isn’t like most other shows. I do think a hospitality room for the early arrivals is a good alternative.

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
Am I one of those early arrivals you are referring to? Driving from Florida in front of a hurricane, it was a bit hard to time when I would get there. (19 hours each way, it was) When I did arrive, I saw no reason not to offer assistance when possible, or to try and get pics of some of the early happenings.

Had somebody asked, I would have "stepped back out" of the Fest until the appropriate time.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
just a thought but have the doors locked and a vendor entry - no one will wonder in then without a long trek to find it. Maybe shorten the setup time so that we can have a social hour at the hotel - to Bobby's point call it the OPENING NIGHT MEET AND GREET. Then open things up right after the warehouse sale if it happens. or right on time Saturday. I think if anyone is out looking around and buying things on Friday on the "floor" it should be exclusive to the vendors and such....

Just my thoughts as we were trying to brainstorm.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts