Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My question is: Didn't this current promotional YELLOW shelby mustang show up shortly after, or during the first RED lightning rod mustang promotion?

I clearly remember that a couple of them showed up, advertised as pre-production samples (although they were packaged) and the story was that they (JL, RC2, Learning Curve) were not going to ever make this piece and decided on the red one (first promotion) instead.
The yellow car was being sold by someone named "Bluebuddah" if I recall correctly and it was going for between $200-$300.

"IF" that's the case wouldn't the person that bought it have a very bad case of "buyers remorse"?

It's things like this that make me very leary of cars that are advertised as "RARE" one of a kind pieces, especially when there's no documentation (only a story) to back it up.

I have always thought that patience is the key to not being ripped off when these type of things show up.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, how long has it been known to be a "mistake"?
At the time the stories and the price tag seemed to suggest that this car was "never" going to be produced, thus the inflated pricetag.

I just hope no one paid that ridiculous amount of money only to find out that's it's now a mail in offer.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
The yellow Mustang was produced, although it was not advertised for the TRU promotion like the red one. It has the same production run of 2500 and most are still sitting in a warehouse somewhere. However, it isn't anything special and only worth $15-20 at most.

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
The original yellow Mustang was purchased off of ebay from a seller that also had a some JL shirts (I believe that they were employee shirts). If I remember correctly it was purchased for around $100.00 but I am not 100% sure on that price. I tried to contact the seller to see if he had anymore. I am now glad that he did not as I just ordered2 for 5.00. The buyer then in turn tried to resell the piece.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I never said it was a mistake, if you read what Roadwarrior said is that it was sent to Blubuddah by mistake.
My question was specifically, how long was it known that the car was sent out by mistake?
Because at the time it was being misrepresented as being something it wasn't and had a high price tag.
When the car was received there was no mention of it being produced in any significant quantities until now.
I asked because I feel bad for whomever paid that kind of money for that car, especially when and if the seller knew they had gotten it in error and knew that they would be released at a later date.

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
Actually Tom Z confirmed that it was part of a production run that was yet to be released. He did this on JL Talk shortly after the car surfaced. I do not believe that it was ever "mailed" out by mistake. I do not think that the guy that was reselling it ever was able to once that info became public. I also could be wrong on that.
I do remember that after that info was confirmed he changed the wording of his listing on TTP. And yes it was Blubuddah who is also a member here. I am sure he can clear the air.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I thought Bill said he got it from the "mail in" but I could be wrong,seeing how it all took place back in 07:confused:

I do remember that Bill had it with him at LF in 08 and Tom said as soon as the red ones were cleared out they would
be getting the yellow ones out.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well............. whadya know, I knew this would come up LOL, I was the dummy that paid $100 on ebay for the thing. It was fun to have the only one for over a year, Scott wanted it, but waited(see, he's allot smarter:p) TZ confirmed last years Lightning Fest(2008) that it was rare for me to have it at that time, and we would see them in the future, Yes I tried to sell it on TTP but gave up and just kept it. It isn't much different than some WL sold for big bucks a few years ago and can be found for $10-$15 now. I love the car, and I don't have to waste $5 for one now:thumbsup: heck, trying to buy 5 cars around here in darn near impossible anyway, so ya see, in the end it wasn't such a bad deal after all:tongue:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's all clear now. I just wondered (and I'm sorry that I had to be the one) what the story behind the story was. All I knew was that it surfaced as a single car or two and now here it comes again, but this time it's planned. Thanks for your input guys, I knew I wasn't imagining things.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Totally up front

Well............. whadya know, I knew this would come up LOL, I was the dummy that paid $100 on ebay for the thing. It was fun to have the only one for over a year, Scott wanted it, but waited(see, he's allot smarter:p) TZ confirmed last years Lightning Fest(2008) that it was rare for me to have it at that time, and we would see them in the future, Yes I tried to sell it on TTP but gave up and just kept it. It isn't much different than some WL sold for big bucks a few years ago and can be found for $10-$15 now. I love the car, and I don't have to waste $5 for one now:thumbsup: heck, trying to buy 5 cars around here in darn near impossible anyway, so ya see, in the end it wasn't such a bad deal after all:tongue:
Thanks Bill for setting the record straight for everyone.
Now we know.

Cheers. Cobra

1 - 15 of 15 Posts