Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got hotspots?

In the past, I've suggested using Rosco Tough Silk Diffusion material to create an anisotropic streak. It diffuses the LEDs, but in one direction, along the line of the nacelle if you choose. From Rosco: "Upon close examination, you can see parallel lines running through the plastic. These lines give Tough Silk directional properties. Depending on their orientation to the light source, they spread the beam in one direction - horizontally, vertically or diagonally."

But now I see that common clear grocery bags, the kind you tear off in the fruit section, are actually anisotropic. Layer a couple of those behind the clear plastic inserts and you might get a streak out of your LED hotspots. Maybe add tracing paper or frosted mylar, because the bags are much thinner than Tough Silk.

Try your grocer: some bags may work, some may not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LED diffusion

I had an issue with this when I built the 1/350 refit kit recently as well. I was never happy 100% with the light diffusion in the engines--I used blue LEDs and diffused them with various methods such as dullcote on the clear parts, wax paper/tracing paper. If I knew about this material I definitely would have tried it. Thanks for the tip, I will keep it in mind for future projects.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I used a piece of plain paper behind the nacelle grills, I also placed the led's on the "ceiling" of the nacelle pointing down to help eliminate hot spots.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's another option: take some frosted mylar (vellum?) and sand it widthwise, not lengthwise, with coarse paper. That should simulate the Tough Silk effect. Test first, of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts