Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who are experienced with lighting, can you give a novice some idea on how many lights to use, and what exactly to use LEDs or mini lamps. I am currently painting/building an AMT/ERTL Reliant (as some of you know from the other thread) and haven't got to the lighting stage yet, but just wanted a little help on what to get etc. I have painted the insides black already, so I have done that. I understand LEDs need resistors to limit the flow of electricity so they don't burn out. I have bought most of the lights but am not sure if it is going to be enough to light it. I have bought 4 mini 6 volt lamps and 2 5mm Red LEDs and 2 5mm blue LEDs (Red is 200 MCD and blue is 2600 MCD). I have a 6 volt adapter and the end you use to plug the adapter in that I will add to the ship's lower hull. How many regular mini lamps am I going to need to light this thing? Also will 47 ohm reistors work or do I need to get higher ohm resistors for more light intensity? I am not going to add any of the running lights or anything, just the basic lighting as on impulse. Also I have 24 Gauge speaker wire, will this stuff work? Basicly anything you can tell me, would be benificial since I have not lit anything except the Bandai model enterprise, but there were instructions. Oh...and yes I have soldered quite a bit, that isn't a problem.

·
Registered
903 Posts
With a 6 volt power suply (being an AC adapter, it is probably putting out more like 8 or 9 volts; but I digress) using 47 ohm resistors will result in burnt leds. For red leds, you need at least 180 ohm resistors (220 ohms, being a common value, is also good). For the blue leds, use at least 100 ohms.
Unless those bulbs have a very long life, you should consider using white leds instead. Also, you should tape down the lights that you use for the interior, dry fit the major model parts, and do a lighting test. For this model, 4 interior lights may not be enough.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply jwrjr. Will these resistors work, which one should I get between these two?

100 ohm 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistor pk/5

100 ohm 1/2W 5% Carbon Film Resistor pk/5

Also the 200 ohm resistors:

220 ohm 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistor pk/5

220 ohm 1/2W 5% Carbon Film Resistor pk/5

The Typical MCD is 1100 for these white ones, would these 5mm White LEDs work:

5mm White LED (link)

Also, is there a place to buy LEDs, because 5.29 for a white LED is kind of expensive. (other than online and Radio Shack?)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Answer for 6 volts systems using LEDs is...100 ohm ding ding ding!

You will find a lot of usefull elelctronic hobby info here:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/homepage.htm

At that same site a usefull JAVA calculator for series resisters to use on LEDs:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/led.htm

At my site (and shameless plug) a lot of useful circuit kits for Trek models:
http://www.dlmparts.com/electronics.html

Don Matthys
dba Don's Light and Magic
www.DLMparts.com
[email protected]
Make it Glow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts