Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah....I went from lighting a 3 foot Galactica to a 4 inch SD! Talk about extremes!

So I had a bunch of left over .25mm fiber optic. Needed to do something with it. After seeing Dorobou's fantastic SD I decided I'd try my hand at lighting it. He used clear resin cast parts, mine is more traditional, with fibers. Still, major headaches.

I started by gluing some pieces together so I could hollow them out to make room inside. I cut out a good portion of the upper hull, under the super structure to open it up.

My plan is to terminate the fibers inside the super structure so they are "pointing" at a single diffused white LED, as opposed to running fiber to a tube and gluing said tube to an LED like normal.

The hardest part so far was modifying the neck to get the fibers from the bridge down to the hull. Lots of grinding inside the bridge did take place.

Anyhoo, here are some pictures to show where I am at so far. Should be able to finish this up in a week.

Trenches drilled out.

Super structure glued together and hollowed out. Fibers run.

Hull opened up for access.

Modified bridge neck and bridge fibered up!

Super structure windows.

I'm actually further along than what the pictures show. Ran ut of time uploading them this morning. The bridge is glued to the neck, the neck is glued to the super structure. The cargo bay on the underside is also fibered up as well. Engines have been drilled out also.
Stand by for more pics tonight.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Good lord, you're insane! you, sir, are a steady hand drilling man par excellence!

But will you be able to gather all those fibers AND a light source within that tiny space?!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No need to gather fibers. Check out my lame grade school drawing. A diffused LED will have the majority of the fibers pointing toward it. I'll probably have to bundle the trench and hangar fibers though. The super structure will be lit as below.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
No need to gather fibers. Check out my lame grade school drawing. A diffused LED will have the majority of the fibers pointing toward it. I'll probably have to bundle the trench and hangar fibers though. The super structure will be lit as below.

I was wondering if you could treat the interior space as a lightbox.

Is a diffused LED the way to go? My uneducated gut says a couple of those tiny super bright kind might be better. (I do not know squat about lighting :) )

Ohhh, though: you could use clear sprue as a light pipe to the engines.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve, I do have a ton of SMT LEDs. I may be able to string a few of those together as well. Might even use those for the engines.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Here's some more pictures. This is turning out to be pretty doable. Yes, your working in a much tinier scale, you cant get as many windows/fibers in as I'd like, but I think this is going to turn out pretty Oaky Day.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well edge10, lets wait until I finish it. Then we can decide if I truly went off the deep end!!!

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Well edge10, lets wait until I finish it. Then we can decide if I truly went off the deep end!!!
I have wracked my brains trying to figure what could be 'deep end' with this project, seeing how far you've gone so far. I know Dorobo scratchbuilt a Blockade Runner, then later (I think a second build) he put a tiny Falcon on the back of the bridge structure...

Hm. Maybe a flight of scale TIE Fighters? :)

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think "off the deep end" would be an in scale DS II....

I do want to do a different base though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hurt in my mind just looking at the in-prog pics.

I would require fitted microscopes and new hands to do such tiny work.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do have to take my glasses off and work under a very bright light. It's really not that hard to light this. I say that now though, I'm only half way done! More updates coming this weekend!

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I think "off the deep end" would be an in scale DS II....

I do want to do a different base though.
How about...

Take a standard R2 base (the dome one they're so proud of :) ), neck the post down to a smaller diameter tube more fitting for the scale but still giving you room for power to the LEDs, and paint the dome like Tatooine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts