Hobbyist Forums banner

Do you consider the R2 lighting/photoetch kit to be worth the money?

• Definitely worth the money and I will purchase it.

Votes: 52 69.3%
  • Definitely worth the money but I cannot afford it and will light model with other purchased parts.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Seems to be worth the money but I will not be lighting model.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Not worth the money and I will be lighting model with other parts.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Not worth the money and I will not be lighting the model.

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Starship Class
11,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I wanted to fix up my own lighting kit--including (hard to find?) fan blade motors, LED's, etc. or if I wanted to just go ahead and pay for the R2 kit to do the same thing.

Looking for wisdom/input on this decision from the experts.:wave:

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Well for me it's easy. Pony up.

I'm ok with a few GOW bulbs and a AA battery, but beyond that I'm useless.

$190 is steep, but if I want a nice, lit Enterprise it's the price of admission.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Whatever It Takes

This is a once-in-lifetime kit for me, 40 years in the making, and more accurate than any other sci-fi subject. Not the time and place to scrimp.

I sold half my collection of unbuilt kits to buy the $1000 Valley Forge kit, and I'd sell the other half for this one.

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
From what I have seen from MM's review, I have to agree with the others and go for it.

Although I am somewhat skilled at putting together light circuits and such, I think that the PL light kit is something that will eliminate a lot of brainpower (or lack thereof) on my end; it looks very easy to assemble, so that in and of itself is a great timesaver. The added feature of the fan blade motors also make the decision a great deal easier for me, too.

I can certainly understand the other point of view from a price point perspective, though...

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
PC, is that the official retail price from R2? If so, I'm sure you will be able to find it cheaper thru online retailers. If that is the online price then I may have to look into doing the lights myself. Other than the bussard collectors the ship is all white lights with a few colored blinking. The plug and play aspect will be the biggest draw to the kit, especially with the fan blade motors. I'm just not sure I could stomach the cost for something that could be done much cheaper.

I'll wait to vote until someone can confirm on the price.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
MSRP for the lighting kit is $169.95, but I've seen it online at $139.95.

MRSP for the Polar Lights photoetch set is $39.95, with online pricing around $35.95.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Honestly, I'm going to wait for at least a few reviews to see how well-done the kit is, if anyone has any particular hassles installing it, and so forth. If my income was a little more disposable, I'd buy it in a heartbeat guess so it depends if you have the cash to spare. :)

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think I have to go with Carl on the income issue. I think $139-$169 is a bit much for the person who has lighting experience. If you have little to no experience in lighting it would be a good deal.

It has 95 LEDs, motors, colored clear parts, and it's built for you. To me, not worth it. I can build it a lot cheaper. And that is the way I voted.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Here's my theory if you're really not the type to light your models, say relatively few if any, but if you really want to light a grail kit like 1/350th TOS Enterprise or the Refit I think its the way to go. To buy all the lighting paraphernalia you need just to light a few kits will coast ya. But to buy a lighting kit from time to time will probably in the long run save you some cash and a few headaches.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'll be getting the light kit,
I could probably do it myself cheaper, but there would be a lot of trial and error, frustration and hand wringing, and I'm just plain too old for all that.

·
Starship Class
11,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to clarify since I didn't realize there was a lighting only kit, you can get the lighting kit without the photoetch and extra decals for 139.95 online at Cult's: http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Classic-Enterprise-Light-Kit-1350--PREORDER-RESERVATION-_p_2210.html

The combo with the lighting/photoetch/weathering decals is here for $189.95: http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Classic-Enterprise-Combo-Accessory-Pack-1350--PREORDER-RESERVATION_p_2214.html

The photoetch set available separately for $25.95 here doesn't seem to have the same parts as the combo kit however: http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Classic-Starship-1350-detail-set-from-Paragrafix--PREORDER-RESERVATION_p_2308.html That's not to say something else won't come out soon.

Looks like if you're going for the lighting kit alone, you can save about $50.00.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I can do the lights on my own.. but it is the fan blade motors that will be the hardest part. I am sure someone will come up with a solution for that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I voted easily worth it compared to the other after market lighting kits - I hope they have fantastic sales on this. I PM'd Jamie & suggested that they could produce a refit lighting kit in the $90 - $115 range - I bet there are a ton of unbuilt refits out there (like mine) waiting for a reasonably priced lighting package!

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Even though I build most of my own electonic's for my projects, I have no problem buying one that is not only made for the kit but designed by them to fit.....:thumbsup: And having all the other aftermarket extras included, how could I pass it up.......:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
That's my aftermarket photoetch set - I can't include any of the pieces that are in Polar Lights' set (found here for $35.95.
That's a pretty awesome set you are making Paul. Its great that you are including crew. They'll look great behind ALL those windows.

Cudos for getting the gig from Round 2 and even more cudos for coming up with good ideas for the additional set.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Regards,
MattL

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'll be getting the light kit,
I could probably do it myself cheaper, but there would be a lot of trial and error, frustration and hand wringing, and I'm just plain too old for all that.
I lit my 1:350 refit myself...and several kits since then. I'm confident I could do this job myself, but I'm getting the light kit anyway. It will save me a lot of grief and, I suspect, I will come out with a better looking build overall in the end.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Do I think the lighting kit is expensive?
YES - The combo kit is cheaper than buying the PE, Weathering Decals and Lighting separately. I have a model kit fund so I can afford it, barely.

Will I buy the combo kit?
For the same reason above - YES

Will I use all three parts of the combo pack?
the lighting - YES
the PE -YES
the Weathering Decals - MAYBE LATER (its cheaper to buy them now)

I want my kit to look as it did on the TV show those many years ago so I will not get the Classic Parts Pack.

Before Polar Lights/Round2 made the TMP & TOS 1/350 Enterprises my most expensive, and largest, model was the C-57D.

Will I quit buying such big models?
YES -that is until another grail kit comes along.;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts