Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The concept is nearing completion now - just need to sort out a nice head-lid securing mechanism...

I'm starting a list for interested parties to guage interest - apparently the Centurion kit should be out soon!

I would think this should be around the £30 mark - I need to build a few more to get a better idea of the time it takes but it's compaprable to the raider module.

Cheers
Ant

·
Banned
718 Posts
Just got the prototype up and running - some pics on my blog here http://www.antsnest.net/blog/?p=209

And no, I don't know when the kit is actually going to be released... :(

Ant
That looks terrific!

Of course, what I REALLY want is a "nu-BSG style TOS Cylon" with one of those... and that's not quite available at the moment, sadly.

I don't see any reason why your light kit, there, would be hard to adapt to a TOS-style Cylon, though. So... when there's a kit of the TOS-style (or perhaps I ought to be saying "Razor style?") Cylon... I do hope you'll make the light kit available for that as well. :)

Regarding the "head lid attachment," I'd suggest providing four little neodymium disk magnets (the same ones used on some eyeglasses on the nosepiece to allow sunglass elements to be "stuck on" by magnets...). You'll need to alter your PCB a tiny bit to permit clearance for the disk magnets at the sides of the head, but that doesn't look like it would be a significant change. Then, the head plate can just magnetically "snap on" by magnets, and can be easily pulled off without any mechanical "snaps" or tabs of any kind.

Here's a decent source. You'd want four of the tiniest little neo magnet disks they sell, in each kit... a pair per side.

http://www.indigo.com/magnets/neodymium-disc-magnets.html

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers - The circuit should feasibly be suitible for a Razor / TOS cyylon too with a little re-layout :)

I'm experimenting with neo magnets at the moment - unfortunalely space is extremely limited and the only chance will be to maybe get one pair at the back of the head. Won't need much to hold the bits together as long as the alignment of the magnets is level...

·
Banned
718 Posts
Cheers - The circuit should feasibly be suitible for a Razor / TOS cyylon too with a little re-layout :)

I'm experimenting with neo magnets at the moment - unfortunalely space is extremely limited and the only chance will be to maybe get one pair at the back of the head. Won't need much to hold the bits together as long as the alignment of the magnets is level...
What size of magnets are you using? Maybe I'm just misjudging scale there, but that head doesn't look "small" to me. A 2.5mm diameter disk on either side seems like it would fit just fine, with only a little bit of notching in the PCB (probably wouldn't even need to move traces...?)

Am I just totally misreading the scale here? That looks like it's maybe an inch in width across the head, possibly more. If it's a lot smaller... two things... (a) that light set is even more impressive than I thought, and (b) the kit is probably smaller than I'd want, more akin to an "action figure" than a fine display model (which doesn't seem typical for Moebius).

I've used the tiny little 2.5mm diameter disks for lots of purposes. The trick is to glue them into a "pocket" with epoxy.. you can't just glue them on without providing all-sides-but-top support. Neo magnets can be brittle, too... so "clamping" isn't a good idea.

The top of my Polar Lights "Robby the Robot" is held on with three sets of neo magnets... to permit repairs if necessary, mainly. They work beautifully, and if you don't KNOW that the part is supposed to come off, you'd think that things were glued together!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's about an inch and a bit front to back. I've got some 3mm and 5mm magnets, the 5mm are probably too strong, but either way there's only enough space for one pair at the back behind the PCB, the rest of the inside of the lid is completely covered by the PCB. I'll have to post a pic for scale.

The kit is 1/6th scale - MUCH bigger than an action figure - over 12" tall when assembled...

Ant

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here we go - ok so it's more like 2" end to end. You can see the bit I've got left for the magnet - there's a 2.5mm one in the pic too.

Ant

·
Banned
718 Posts
Here we go - ok so it's more like 2" end to end. You can see the bit I've got left for the magnet - there's a 2.5mm one in the pic too.

Ant
That's the size I was thinking of... far easier to work with than the bigger ones. (I actually originally had to buy some of these to repair the little "magnetic clip on sunglasses" on my eyeglasses... and had to order them in a batch of ten pieces, minimum. Since then, I've bought more... and use them regularly in model work.

It looks like the only real issue you might have has to do with the switch. But... if you have the head easily removable... you don't need that sort of switch at all, do you? You could just have a DIP switch right on the PCB.. a lot smaller than what you have there now... and there'd be no conflict between the magnet and switch locations.

Just my 2cents... do as you see fit, of course! :)

EDIT:

Just so you can see what I have in mind... there are four easy locations to put this sort of magnet into place. I'm suggesting that you pick two of these four locations. The circle is based upon the magnet size you showed.

It would require a tiny bit of plastic-cutting to make clearance for the magnet in those locations, but it's pretty trivial, I think... and you'll note that I'm putting the "notches" in the PCB into locations where there are no traces (at least none visible on this side!)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 20 of 62 Posts