Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow modelers! It's been a very long time since I've posted here but I'm getting back into my hobby and would like some ideas about lighting some of my models. Specifically some of the AMT models that I'm refurbishing such as the Enterprise D from the Next Generation. I had previously used fiber optics which I could do again but the windows of the D are very long horizontal windows that don't look exactly right with fiber optics. One method I have thought about was drilling a hole at each end of the window then using an e-xacto knife to 'dig' out the rest of the window. Another thought was taking a lighter to the end of an e-xacto knife to melt the windows. Anyone have any other ideas or have done any methods of their own on this model or any other trek model?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Drilling each end of the window and filing is the way to go on that front. Maybe you could back those sorts of windows with wax paper or vellum with a central light source, using fiber for specific points such as running lights. You would have to have the whole model painted first no matter what kind of backing. Check through the lighting board for some ideas. There are lots of lit models there, maybe inspiration as well.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I built the AMT fiber optic D years ago but I just went with the kit instructions and drilled a small hole in each window slot with the single point of light shining. Not the most accurate approach in retrospect but there it is. If I had it to do again I'd drill 3 or 4 small holes in each slot with a pinvise and clean up the edges with an xacto knife and a small jeweller's file (got a really nice set of small files that work great for windows this size) and then fill with clear resin. Then I'd flare the end of the fiber with a hot knife and glue it to the back of the window to hopefully spread the light over the entire frame.
Speaking of hot knives, one other idea I could think of would be to use the hot knife blade to carefully melt most of the plastic in the slot. It might be faster then having to drill. You'd probably still need to do some cleanup with the xacto knife and files though. It would be interesting to know if anyone else on these boards has tried this with a hot knife as I personally don't have one.

·
Registered
722 Posts
the very first model I built that had lights was the Ent-D as well, about 15 years ago. I was so proud of those little light dots.

Then when I got back into modelling a few years ago, I revisited the Ent-D as my first subject, and again, with lights, only this time I drilled out the windows, used CCFLs inside, etc. Now every model I build has lights, and I use LEDs, and only use fiber when needed for small points.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Save yourself some grief and just wait for the release of the 'clear' 1/1400 1701-D kit from AMT later this year. Then, the only thing you have to worry about is masking those hundreds of ports, rather than drilling and filing them out.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH lord! A clear Enterprise D. I remember doing the clear Enterprise C and what a nightmare that was, but that was when I was alot younger. The D I'm working on now was my 16th birthday present so I still want to put in back together. The four fiber per window idea sounds good but that would be alot of fibers! I'll try the melting window trick on a second D that I have some random pieces of. Somewhere I have an exacto knife blade that would be the exact size of the windows, if i can find that I'll try to use that.

Here's some pictures of what it looked like and my current painting process.

http://tardis1916.com/models/thumbnails.php?album=8

I finished the aztec pattern right before I found the aztec decals by Acreation Models. Should I repaint the entire thing one color or put the decals over what I already have?

Does anyone know if the new clear D will have some aztec decals like the new refit reissue?

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
The four fiber per window idea sounds good but that would be alot of fibers!
I've tried this notion. Not to be a downer, but all it would yield in this case is four points of closely placed lights, not one single window light. I thought I could melt several together for a single light, but all that made was a mess.

Maybe someone else has done this successfully? If so, let us know!!! Backing the windows with some kind of material that disburses the source light is likely the only way to go.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your input. I think (after pulling it out and looking at it) that I will continue with my original plan and use fiber optics one per window. I'm also going to keep the paint pattern I have now and save the aztec details for the the clear one that is coming out (or sell them). Almost all the work has already been done so why scrap all that hard work.

On another note, I came accross the Enterprise D blueprints I bought years ago by Rick Sternback. Anyone know what scale these blueprints are in? I'd love to have a D in this size :) (almost 30")

1 - 8 of 8 Posts