Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Still have some finishing work to do, and have to make a stand for it, but I thought I'd post some progress shots. The pics are kind of shakey, a model in one hand and camera in the other ... (and yes I know, it's not exactly canon). This kit turned out to be more difficult then I expected. Besides the small size, it seemed like the snap together feature was a pain at every turn. Had to cut most of the stuff off.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How in the name of all that is holy did you get power to the nacelles. You must have had a paper thin wall on the nacelle supports to run the wires through. Do tell?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. The nacelle power was done by cutting two small channels up the inside portions of one of the strut halves, and CA'ing 30 AWG enameled wire in the channels. When the two strut halves are assembled, the wires are effectively concealed and protected.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you dont mind my asking other than the two nacelles, how many LEDs are used in the main hull and saucer sections? I am very impressed with the way it looks.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,219 Posts
BOOOtiful! :thumbsup:

The snap together feature is actually very cleverly engineered, and one of the better I've ever seen. The thing is, you have to snap it together in exactly the right order, BUT the instructions don't TELL you the right order! There was some major lack of communication between the designer and whoever drew up the instrux sheet.

After putting three or four of them together, you can see the order, and it works fine.

Or, you can cut the snaps of and glue it. That works too. :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info John. Problem with lighting is that you can't always follow the prescribed order on the instruction sheet, so I guess it would have been a pain either way.

LED count: Main Hull = 6 Saucer = 15 (a real stuff fit in that narrow of a space)

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Willickers!

Very cool! :thumbsup: :eek:

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Very nice indeed!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used Model Masters "French Dark Blue Gray" for the main hull color, and mixed a little black in to darken it a shade for the accents on the nacelles and other areas. I don't believe those are the colors the actual prop was painted, but it does sort of present as the "mood" of the ship sometimes did in the show.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Awesome work :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Did you still have to thin the walls for the lights, or was the small size of the kit thin enough?

--Tony

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. I did thin the walls a little in the secondary hull, but the plastice the kit's made from had such a "gummy" quality to it, and the kit itself is so small, I abandoned the effort for fear of "punching through" and ruining a piece.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Most excellent Enterprise!

Yeah, all the "snap together" kits I've put together with my son, it was not possible for him to snap it; required adult hands. Glue kits are easier. But that's what the market wants I guess...

Seeing the thing perched atop your hand reminds me just how damn small it is!

More pics please!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts