Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go again. The boys want to light up Yoda's light saber. It seems to be a solid piece of green acrylic. Almost clear but not as clear as I would like. I don't want to cut it until I have enough info on how well it will look with a small LED or fiber O. I have seen them before, but I have no clue as to how to hollow it out. I have done a online search for a pre-hollowed kit but have not found anything. Any suggestions on this method?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Well here we go again. The boys want to light up Yoda's light saber. It seems to be a solid piece of green acrylic. Almost clear but not as clear as I would like. I don't want to cut it until I have enough info on how well it will look with a small LED or fiber O. I have seen them before, but I have no clue as to how to hollow it out. I have done a online search for a pre-hollowed kit but have not found anything. Any suggestions on this method?

Thanks...
Is the Yoda a kit or a figure? Do you know what scale?

·
Registered
557 Posts
One tip that I can give you when trying to see what an object would look like lit up, is to buy one of those cheap LED keyring flashlights.
These things are a very bright pin point light source and are not only useful in seeing what something looks like when lit, but they make a great portable light source to see if your model has any light leaks.

You could try putting your light saber on the tip of the LED on the keyring. Surround the joint with some plastercine (AKA Modeling clay) as this will block the leaking light.
You will quickly see if the translucent saber will glow in a manner that you like.
If it does not glow effectively, you may indeed need to hollow it out or just replace it with a different material.

Alien

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
OK. I did one years ago with a resin 1/12 scale Yoda from Jimmy Flintstone. I drilled a small hole through his lightsaber and down his arm. Then I drilled another hole down the neck through his leg. I ran a piece of fiber optic up to the lightsaber and lit it with a 5mm LED hidden underneath. I sanded the clear green acrylic rod to give it a frosted effect that evenly transmitted the light.

Nowadays, with all the tiny SMDs available, you can probably just put one in the lightsaber hilt and run the wires inside the body.

Rob
Iwata Padawan

·
Registered
557 Posts
Really nice work Veedubb. Love a good Yoda.

Alien

1 - 9 of 9 Posts