Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put out a guide for the complete history of Life Like Slot cars? I just found out that there is one for Marchon. (Grancheapskate, are you reading this)

Chet

·
Registered
91 Posts
Chet,
AFAIK there is othing such. Unfortunately. I have collected some information on that, but never had the chance to fill in all the holes yet.

BTW, there is one link missing in your list: Eldon started all, since Cox acquired the Eldon tooling of the track back then for a start, and developped the chassis new. The track was taken from Eldon with little or no modification at all. The new chassis got new bodies as well, as there is the Porsche, the Manta and the DatsunZ.

Then was AMRAC next on the list, who was producing "just" the same models like Cox in different liveries. Would have to check the catalog if there were others, no recollection so far. Selling track and sets was planned, nut never done.

Michael

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
red73mustang said:
Has anyone put out a guide for the complete history of Life Like Slot cars? I just found out that there is one for Marchon. (Grancheapskate, are you reading this)

Chet
Hi Chet,
Yes, I am listening!!!
I have thought about doing a Lifelike book as I have nearly all the Lifelike cars, including the Australian, German and Japanese cars. I'm not so good on the others. I am still missing a few Rokar and have only a few Amrac. I have no Cox or Eldon, but do believe I have one Goloob.
However, the only book source I know of is Howard Johansen's book which was last published around 1999. I have no idea where you can still get that book.

Joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
Joe,
if you have one Galoob, you have 50% of all cars produced! To my knowledge there were only the two cars from the Miami Vice set produced under the Galoob label, the Ferrari and the fancy Rolls Royce.

As for Amrac, my recollection was wrong: There were two new body styles (beside the ones coming from Cox), that were the Corvette and the stubby Thunderbird, well known from Life Like as well! And they indeed sold track in Amrac packages, but no set is known to me, even if it was indeed featured in a catalog. I think at least, cannot find my copy at the moment.....

Michael

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
hey michael... don't you count the Micro Machines slot cars as Galoob?

--rick

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rick,
well, yes. Of course they do count as Galoob, but what I was referring to, or rather thinking of, were the Galoob cars being decendants of the Cox Chassis, which eventually ended as Rokar. And since the Micro Machines were a different breed, I left them out!

Michael

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have most of the cars your talking about I would be willing to contribute. the only cars I am missing are the cox mantas the rokar manta and the black corvette. I havnt seen any mention of the Darda cars there were six cars in that line.
Thanks
Doc

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
slotmichl said:
Joe,
if you have one Galoob, you have 50% of all cars produced! To my knowledge there were only the two cars from the Miami Vice set produced under the Galoob label, the Ferrari and the fancy Rolls Royce.

Michael
Michael,
I have the Rolls Royce. A few years back, Lifelike issued an exclusive twinpack with a reissue of the two Galoob cars. The Rolls Royce is the same mold, but the Lifelike version has a white roof, while the Goloob has a black roof. I have never seen the Galoob Ferrari, so I do not know if the Lifelike and Galoob versions are indentical.

Joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
Doc,
of course you were right, I missed the Darda cars. If it were 6 I do not even know, I would guess to have 4 different (and two sets).

Joe, the molds were the same on both bodies, but the colors were different, so the Ferrari is hardly to be recognized: While the Galoob is brown with a tan roof, the LL is white with red stripes (from recollection)!

Michael

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I too forgot about the Darda connection. Can anyone provide some pictures of them? I just thought of an idea, Why don't we put together an "E" Collector guide for the collectors on Hobby talk? We could use some basic software and add pictures and descriptions. Kelly Pickell kind of already does this on his sight,http://www.hoslotcars.com/slotcars.html but perhaps we could make ours print friendly. Finally, are there copyright issues to contend with? I think not if all of the pics are part of the public domain and are not stolen from an unauthorized source. Who's in?

·
Registered
618 Posts
The LifeLike one
http://www.hoslotcars.com/cgi-bin/****?s=l&p=llclass2

And the Galoob one
http://www.hoslotcars.com/cgi-bin/****?s=l&p=g6060a

Nice idea RedMustang... I can even provide some webspace if needed on my website

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is an Image from another collerctor guide that I thought was very well done. Perhaps we could use a similar format? I think that dividing it into sections like F1 and NASCAR Groups would be good as well as manufacture.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
slotmichl said:
Joe, the molds were the same on both bodies, but the colors were different, so the Ferrari is hardly to be recognized: While the Galoob is brown with a tan roof, the LL is white with red stripes (from recollection)!

Michael
I bought one of the LL white-with-red Ferraris on Fleabay a couple years back... it was cheap, something like $5 for the body only. I bought it for a very specific purpose: I cut the roof off and painted it red and made it a replica of Franco's Ferrari from The Gumball Rally...

--rick

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought one of those twin packs too with the Ferrari and Rolls. My goal was to re create the Galoob Miami Vice set cars (I already have the Rolls -minus the front Grill) , but I don't trust my paint skills so I kept them as is. BTW Rick, I will look for those Bow Tie Brigade Cars I put aside for you. I am setting up at the Parsippany NJ show on May 20th

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Here are some Darda Pics

I believe that these are the extent of the Darda cars.The Chassis say Life-Like but they are the old Rokar M-type chassis.They used the old Amrac Corvette & Stubby T-bird bodies.They were made around 1992 I think.

Neal :dude:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Some more Darda pics

These are pics of the Corvette bodies.They were modified from the old Amrac Corvette by eliminating the front Headlight clear glass. I love these Darda paint jobs they are real cool.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
More A-R-LL info

Check out the following issues of the defunct HO-USA 'zine. In Vol. 7 #4 2/94 is a letter I wrote asking about the History of A-R-LL.I seemed to have set off a chain reaction as in HO-USA Volume 8 #2 8/94 was a whole article by Richard Kerr on the History.HO-USA Vol 9 #3 11/95 had an article by Phillipe De Lispenay about his experiences as development manager at Cox.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
red73mustang said:
I bought one of those twin packs too with the Ferrari and Rolls. My goal was to re create the Galoob Miami Vice set cars (I already have the Rolls -minus the front Grill) , but I don't trust my paint skills so I kept them as is. BTW Rick, I will look for those Bow Tie Brigade Cars I put aside for you. I am setting up at the Parsippany NJ show on May 20th
I bought one of those twinpacks when they came out about 3 years ago on the 'Bay; paid like $20. If Id known then what they bring now, Id have gotten more. Great pair of cars, that rolls is pretty pimp on its own!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts