Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear from most guys that "lipos last forever" "lipos don't need cycling" "lipos are the most equal of all battery types".
Subsequently it seems very few racers I know work or even considerr their batteries when it comes to trying to improve their on-track perfromance.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. Other than heating lipos which is illegal at most tracks, They are the most consistent batterys I have ever ran. No fuss no muss!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
They do loose performance after a while. A buddy was racing 17.5 sedan at a Tamiya Championship Series race, and his car went flat about 4 minutes in. Switching batteries made 100% difference, but it made sense because the battery was over 2 years old and had hundreds of cycles on it.

Still, you can't beat that performance for the money with a bat:thumbsup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know they last longer than the batteries we have previously run, but how much longer? How much perfromance IS lost-they can't stay like new forever-right?
Does any kind of maintenance or cycling not improve their performance at all?

·
Delicious Vinyl Graphics
4,284 Posts
I routinely cycle my single cell packs (Thunder Power 40C). Cycled them last week. I have seen NO drop in voltage average, and maybe 5 seconds of run time less (same machine, no variables). These are on packs that were purchased from August to October of last year (three in total).

(all packs are 3.69 for voltage, and from 507-489 for runtime- on my GFX)

By now, I would have either bought about 16 4 cell packs, or missed a race or two.

We have guys at my track that still compete with the old solid-red SMC packs (2C), and even the old Orion 3200's.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I routinely cycle my single cell packs (Thunder Power 40C). Cycled them last week. I have seen NO drop in voltage average, and maybe 5 seconds of run time less (same machine, no variables). These are on packs that were purchased from August to October of last year (three in total).

(all packs are 3.69 for voltage, and from 507-489 for runtime- on my GFX)

By now, I would have either bought about 16 4 cell packs, or missed a race or two.

We have guys at my track that still compete with the old solid-red SMC packs (2C), and even the old Orion 3200's.

Same here, still running the first pack i bought at the start of the season, bought a new one just to have more practice time, and it cycles lower than the old pack.

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
I am still running a TP 2 cell pack that is 2 years old and just turned some of the fastest laps ever with it. Good riddance round cells!

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I charge mine with the Cellpro 10S. This chargers best feature in my opinion is it will
the packs internal resistance after each charge. I've found no drop/change in a packs
voltage, but as a pack ages (half-a-season or so..) internal resistance can increase.
Now we're only talking a couple tenths of an ohm.
On a very interesting side note, the resistance actually goes down on a racedays 2nd
and 3rd re-charge. By the 4th or 5th, the resistance seems to return, (go-up) back
to its first charge of the day.

Just FYI

Sparky

·
Registered
855 Posts
I was told the first 100 cycles are the best on Thunderpower packs, not sure how much they fade after that. Haven't heard anything about other brands.....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I run on the dirt in the DODC 13.5 late model class. I bought my two 2 cell lipos last feb and started racing in march. I have been running them just about every weekend and have yet to see any trouble with run time to this time. They did however get the month of December off :)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I run on the dirt in the DODC 13.5 late model class. I bought my two 2 cell lipos last feb and started racing in march. I have been running them just about every weekend and have yet to see any trouble with run time to this time. They did however get the month of December off :)
That's why you need to live in Florida.
My batteries never get time off.:) LOL!

·
Registered
260 Posts
The only reason he,TBRC1, didn't race in Dec was because he didn't run the USOW and the track was closed for oval the rest of the month. I'm still running the batteries that I got last Dec '08 at the USOW and am very competitive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts