Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering where to get lexan and what i can use to bend it. also is .040 a good thickness to build an EDM body from?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi
A guy at our track builds edm bodies for pan cars out of .030 but i think .020 is thick enough. He bends them with a sheet metal break. He buys the lexan and plastic screws from toronto.

·
Registered
817 Posts
nate00 said:
i am wondering where to get lexan and what i can use to bend it. also is .040 a good thickness to build an EDM body from?
.020" is all we use up here in N Y rc4 less has a great deal on screws and nuts(plastic) and if you have a Harbor Freight any where near you they sell a great 18" metal brake that will do the job for around $20 (at least up here) good luck, measure twice/cut once.

·
Registered
286 Posts
.040 will be just to heavy. It will be twice as heavy as a .020 body. Another thing is take your time in deciding were to put the screws and use as few as possible,they add up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea my mcallister edm is pretty heavy but the side pannels are .040 and thats where i got the thickness from.

·
Registered
817 Posts
nate00 said:
yea my mcallister edm is pretty heavy but the side pannels are .040 and thats where i got the thickness from.
The weight issue on a mcallister comes from the center section, but again .040" is overkill, if you are going to make bodies for yourself you should look at dirt oval.com and get some ideas on what you want/need, also if you only have a mcalister body I would get with [email protected] and buy a freds fabnfold body they are head n shoulders above most others, then make a copy for yourself

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i emailed him i think, at least tried to lol, i wanted to be a cheap sob and make my own thats why im askin this question.

·
Registered
817 Posts
nate00 said:
i emailed him i think, at least tried to lol, i wanted to be a cheap sob and make my own thats why im askin this question.
I guess I should rephrase that statement, although I am (fiscally conservative) I still like to tinker and try to improve things, however the design that Jeff uses is a design by Billy Kimpton an it don't get better than that, nckippy on dirt oval also makes a great body, if you don't catch jeff give him a pm, tell him I referred you, you can expect to spend about 30 to 40 bucks for a body but startup costs"lexan brake and fasteners" will be at least the same. in the end show us what u make.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i kinda want to build my own, i like screws mecause they look more realistic and im a realistic kind of fella.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts