Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Goodyear, Firestone, etc. lettering on tires but, it takes very little for this lettering to come off. I looked in the board archives to try and find someone that may have applied their own lettering but, no luck.

Anyone out there done this before? How did you do it? The closest thing i was able to find was an article on applying waterslide decals to tires. Somehow, i just don't have a lot of confidence in this process.

Thx.
noir

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
I know you can get decals from Pattos Place to place on tires, but I don't think they'd be durable for racing (or stick to silly-cone very well). Might be good enough for some nice shelf queens.

I use white-out that is thinned with paint thinner and 'dot' the tires on my cars. The look at speed is nice, if not so realistic when sitting still. You can use yellow for Goodyear and white for Bridgestone, Firestone, Dunlop, etc.

I just use a toothpick and put 8 little dots for GOODYEAR. Simple, and it holds up to rubbing & racing pretty well.

'doba

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a while too. As a test, I took an old AFX raised letter front tire that had pretty crisp detail, applied some thinned white-out and used it for a stamp to transfer the lettering to another rear tire. Of course it was backwards on the printed tire, but it transferred quite nicely.

So then how does one make a stamp for printing tire sidewalls? I was going to check into having a custom rubber stamp made, and then drill a hole and add a locator pin for tire center alignment....

Another option I considered was to make a CAD file of the raised lettering and possibly try getting an OBJET rapid prototype part made of the raised lettering (very fine detail is possible with this process). Of course then real money became involved, and I lost interest....

I'm sure a casting process could replicate the detail IF a master could be made....anyone have some ideas?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I used Pattos decals and first applied a coat of Future floor wax and let it dry. Then the decal and let it drty. Then another coat of Future over that and let it drty. An option then of leaving as is [shinty] or a coat of dull coat. Do not get anty of the process where the tire grips. Works out real good and lasts quite a while. Sorry no pictures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts