Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's keep this positive, let's hear why you collect JLs over other brands, what draws or drew you into JLs. I'll start.

Back in 1996 I found my first Muscle Cars USA at Service Merchandise, and I thought, "Finally someone making good old American Muscle cars". Over the years the castings got better and better, and today, in my opinion, are the most realistic 1/64 diecast out there. I have very few other brand cars (not including vintage).

Next?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Pretty much the same as you, Gerald. I love cars and JL does the best replicas out there for the price.

JL beats all others with bang for the buck, detail, variety, and availability.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
1. Great detail
2. cool collector base (for the most part)
3. cheaper than the adult collectible HW's
4. nostalgia

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I started collecting Johnny Lightning (Topper) cars in the sixties.
when they came back as Playing Mantis Johnny Lightnings in 1994, I spotted them hanging on the pegs. "Commemeratives" were a nice flashback to the days of playing with diecast cars as a kid.
Then Musclecars USA came along, and the first one I found was a 1970 Superbee,
which also happened to be the very first 1:1 car I ever owned.
Joined the JLCC and started collecting everything Johnny Lightning I could get my hands on. They were, and still are, the most realistic diecast cars in 1/64 scale.
Musclecars USA is still my favorite line of Johnny Lightning cars,
Maybe because Musclecars in general have been such a part of my life.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Right around the time when JL went from the out of proportion look to the more realistic look I started to take notice. When they released the Official Pace Cars Series (release 2) I was hooked. I bought them all!

They cost more than HotWheels and Matchbox which I had been buying all the time but you got what you payed for. One car weighed more than two or three brand X together!

As the castings became more and more realistic I just couldn't stop. Every casting looks the part, more metal than plastic, rubber tires, realistic wheels.

I'm in it for the long haul...even if I have to wait until next summer before I see anything new!

Phil.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
How about the fact that they generally market cars a lot of companies overlook.
Attention to detail is second to none as a rule, there ARE exceptions, but when they're on, they're SPOT ON!!

I personally look at HW and say 'What did I ever see here?', I mean, when they do get even remotely close to JL's quality, they jack up the price . Even thier best often falls short of JL's minimum level of quality and detail AND cost more than even the most expensive JL releases.

MB is improving, but slowly, they're beginning to market some interesting stuff, pretty nice E-type Jag and Crown Vic police car, International CXT has potential but doesn't look quite right, got a nice looking hearse coming soon.
They've got a loooonnnggg way to go to regain some of the serious collectors who wrote them off (myself included).

JL has released many of my favorite vehicles over the last couple years, the new Blazer and 65 Impala castings are simply awsome!

I'm looking forward to the '07 line with baited breath and crossed fingers (and toes).

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I played with Lightnings as a kid in the sixties, even had the big 500 racetrack. When a guy at work came in with the Muscle Cars about 10 years ago, I bought a whole set from him. Then I saw the 10 car Mustang Classic set at a hobby show, and I knew I had to have them all. It just snowballed from there. I couldn't believe the cars they were making, oddball stuff you didn't see anywhere else at the time. The Munster's cars, the early Hollywood sets, SC/Ramblers, VW Things - just all sorts of great models that people would stop and talk about. I'm afraid I haven't seen much to excite me lately, but I love all those olders models that are filling up my home.

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
THe Commemoratives reminded me of what I had as a kid and it was right at the time I had decided that HW was only looking for the dollar and they were making 23 subtle changes to every car released knowing that the collectors bought multiples of each. Loved the Commemoratives and then the Muscle Cars!!!! I was hooked.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
As most of you know I only collect VWs. I was reading on a different BBS about HT. I decided to hop over and see what it was about. I jumped onto the JL page and have never left. All of the talk about other cars has got me collecting more than VWs. I love the Fest castings and the BWF cars. I can also see getting some of the other castings that just seem to jump into my cart. It is also that I can get to Milezones in less than a half hour. In fact I'm stopping by to see Russ tonight and pick up my Holiday Classics bug. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBugs **Drool**

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think it is because of the realism, which has gotten better and better every year, and because they make the cars I grew up with and wished they had made when I was a kid in diecast form. I used to have a 4x8 sheet of plywood with a model village on it when I was a kid and would love to have had these cars to play with on those streets. Instead, I had matchbox and hotwheels which were limited in reaslism or in American cars period. So, as an adult, I am now planning to set up a model city on a grander scale and use all the Jl (and Greenlight cars too, I love 'em too) I have from the period up until the 1972 model year to fill the roads and parking lots.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Jl?

JL makes a nice set of VWs.

A few other cars they make are ok also. :lol:

I buy specific cars that arouse (careful there...) my interest.
I don't have a complete set in the house.

JLs have nice finish. Nice lines. And no toilets.:freak:
They seem to be well made...

For the most part, when I buy diecast I buy JL.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
It's already been said many times. But the are by far the most realistic looking cars out there. :thumbsup: And I love cars too!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
I got the JL bug when I found my first one of their 70/71 Cyclones. Untill this past winter I had never seen another by any other diecast manufacturer. That's when HW released one in one of their collector lines but it's nowhere near the detail of the JL( see pics below). From the Cyclones I branched out to 70 Mustangs, 69 Talladegas, Daytona Chargers, Superbirds, Ford GTs, and other odds and ends that interest me. :wave:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Real, regular cars that we would have seen or drove on the streets. No other brands even come close in 1:64. The first JL I saw and bought was a 66 Toronado. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven :)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
What attracted me to JL was the fact that the cars I grew up with had metal bases and bodies and the other Major companies were turning to plastic.

I also didn't car for the dinasours and toilet seats and robots that the other manufacturers were doing.
I had a pretty fair size collection of various cars, planes, trucks and military vehicles. (Mostly Micro Machines) and I enjoyed playing with them occassionally.
Then I saw a 10 pack of JL and I wanted more. The Muscle cars and the Dragsters were the first ones I saw here, then I saw the commeratives and Then I saw the Monkey Mobile and the Frightning Lightning Series and I just fell in Love. I was still collecting the other brands but I was spending more on JL and Less and Less on the others.
I am not totally stuck with just JL but I will by an occasional other brand if the vehicle catches my attention.

I like the metal bases and the detail that were put into these cars we love.
Richard

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
1)Oldsmobiles - JL makes more oldsmobiles than any 3 manufactures combined
2)Realism - Asides for the new companies comming to bat just recently, JL's pretty much got everyone beat
3)Oldsmobiles - Did i mention this one yet?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts