Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

I'm thinking of making the airbrush plunge and have been reading up on my 'airbrush' search results. 'Boxter' wrote a pretty compelling pitch for the Panache V. When i went to dixiart.com i realized that i have to choose between a right and left handed model!

Here's the thing, I'm left handed but spray (with a can) with my right hand. I paint and detail (with a brush with my left hand).

I'm guessing because of the spray can's broader strokes i use my right hand. And am hoping that when i get to fine movments while airbrushing, I'll use my left hand? I'm assuming that an airbrush is held like a pencil?

Anyone else in the same boat as myself can offer me some advice?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Wish I could give you some advice, but unlike you, I'm not even remotely ambidexterous. I do everything with my left hand — write, eat, paint, throw, bat, use a computer mouse. My right hand has no coordination at all — I can't even wipe my butt with it.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Thanks scotpens, I think we all appreciate that little bit of personal trivia !! LOL
Sorry I can't help either Neosporing. I'm just the same as scotpens except extremely right handed.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Seriously, the best advice I could offer is to reconsider your choice.

"Handed" airbrushes are a rarity. It's extremely uncommmon for airbrushes to be designed for one hand or the other. The Paasche V (I think that's what you meant to write) is one of them.

Since you seem unsure of which would be your dominant hand for airbrushing, this just seems like a bad match. It's an ugly collision of two unusual circumstances: an airbrush for ONE hand for a modeler who can't say which hand he will use. It's that one case in a thousand.

Their are plenty of good airbrushes (I've participated in several airbrush threads myself) and I'd seriously think about revisiting your choice. Boxster may have made a compelling argument...but the right/left handed issue trumps that.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
neosporing said:
I'm assuming that an airbrush is held like a pencil?

Thanks in advance!
Are you saying you have a left handed pencil?

Try a few airbrushes before you worry about it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Some left handers were trained to write on right handed desks. Because of this, some left handers hold pencils with their wrists curled down to avoid smudging our recently written letters with the palm of our hand. This wrist curling, makes things like caligraphy pens impossible to use. I would imagine it makes some airbrush set ups problematic if you hold the airbrush pen like a left handed person would hold a pencil...

this is the only picture i could find... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
665 Posts
neosporing said:
Here's the thing, I'm left handed but spray (with a can) with my right hand. I paint and detail (with a brush with my left hand).
I'm the same way... brush with left, spray can with right. I've
used many, many airbrushes (Badger, Aztecs) and find that using my right hand has more control.

Buc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts