Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all,

I'm thinking of making the airbrush plunge and have been reading up on my 'airbrush' search results. 'Boxter' wrote a pretty compelling pitch for the Panache V. When i went to dixiart.com i realized that i have to choose between a right and left handed model!

Here's the thing, I'm left handed but spray (with a can) with my right hand. I paint and detail (with a brush with my left hand).

I'm guessing because of the spray can's broader strokes i use my right hand. And am hoping that when i get to fine movments while airbrushing, I'll use my left hand? I'm assuming that an airbrush is held like a pencil?

Anyone else in the same boat as myself can offer me some advice?

Thanks in advance!

<edit> whoops i think i posted this in the wrong forum... mods feel free to delete.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a lefty too and for some reason I can't seem to use an airbrush left handed. I always spray right handed. You might try picking up one of the cheapy ones and give it a try before deciding. My guess is it's due to having to use mostly right handed tools growing up at least in my case???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's what i was afraid of. Strange isn't it? Damn right handed world! The closest Hobby related store i live near is 30 min away (michaels) and they don't have any of their airbrushes on the shelves.. (just the boxes)...

perhaps i'll just get a badger...I'm wodering maxzepher, for something like the PL Refit, I'm guessing Right handed..(broad strokes)

Do you paint figures? For curved lines and details, you still use your right hand?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Depending on how the airbrush is set up, tip size, air pressure, that sort of thing I have been able to get very good control even though I using my right hand. I spent alot of time practicing painting letters and numbers onto cardboard with the finest tip. It worked great to develope the control.

I've used the airbrush for figures and larger builds as well. The funny thing is when the detail work gets real small I'll find myself switching back and forth with my left hand.

You'll want to check with the guys that have built the PL Refit and see what works best. For larger projects I'll switch to an auto body touch up and detail gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts