Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that many of you have used LED Strips to light models.
They are great. Able to be cut to length (Within reason), bright, 12volts DC, double sided tape to stick them down.

However, I have found the sticky tape not to be one of 3M's better products. While it sticks like crazy to the LED strip, it often peels away from what you stick the LED strip to. Not a good look if you have sealed up a LED strip inside a model. So I often glue pieces of styrene across my LED strips to make sure that they say put.

I wanted to put a length of 16 LEDs in the secondary hull of my Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprise. As it is curved, I knew that I would need a flat styrene surface to stick the LED strip to. In my drawer of useful plastic bits (Yes, I really do have one.) I found a Plastruct I-beam (p/n 90518 3/8" styrene I-beam) that looked like it would do the job of holding the LED strip.
But no! The I-beam was slightly too small for the LED strip to lie in. Bugger!
Then I had a thought. The I-beam is quite thick styrene, so I attacked it with my trusty Tamiya scriber and scribed two slots down the I-beam.
The LED strip was able to be slid in and is held securely in place. I just need to glue the I-beam into the model.

Here are a couple of photos. Scribing out the I-Beam and the I-beam with LEDs in the Enterprises secondary hull. I still have to make a couple of mounts!
But those LEDs are going nowhere. Where we are going, we don't need glue!

BTW. The windows have been ground out from behind and then filled with Envrotex-lite. The LED strip does a great job of lighting them all up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
it's a good time to be into models, with so many cool products you can use to enhance your model. nice tip for the leds. I suppose you could use C-Channel if you needed to curve the beam.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes C-channel or U-Channel (Depends which way you look at it.) would be a great substitute for the I-beam. But Plastruct do not make a styrene one in such a large size. Nor do folks like Evergreen. Shame!

Hey AussieMuscle... I guess you are lamenting the loss of the Commodores? Or are you a Ford fan?

·
Registered
1 Posts
How does it look? Not too rude? It seems to me that gluing led strips on double-sided tape is the right decision. I don't know why you don't like it. That's fine with me. At Christmas, I decided to decorate the whole house with led strip. But I didn't know where to buy them. My brother is an electrician and the store told me about it. I was thrilled! There's such a huge selection. I chose a model and it turned out that it is at a discount. My house looked beautiful during the holidays! So I think that you can glue them on tape and not bother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts