Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used LEDs for lighting models, just battery powered floral lights. My question is this, when lighting a model, (SEAVIEW) how many LEDs can you run on say a 9 volt battery ? I know nothing of lighting with LEDS. My Seaview i think would require no more than 4 maybe even 3 LEDs. white ones or clear if the make them.
thanks.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Different LEDs use different voltages. White uses 5v I think. They are bright. I replaced my car alarm blue led with white and you can really see it.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am nor clear on how many it takes to run on a 9volt battery, or what size of LED it will take to light the polar lights seaview. i want to put 1 up front to light the front nose window and 1 or2 to light the 2 small holes in the belly to simulate the 2 spotlights in the belly, and 1 to light the inside of the conning tower. do you just hook these up to the battery, or is there more to it ?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
For my Martian War Machine I used nine 10mm green LEDs and one red 5mm LED rated at a forward voltage of 3.6 volts. I used one 220 ohm 1/2 watt resistor on each negative lead of each LED. These were all wired negative to negative and positive to positive. These are powered by a single 9v battery in the base. I have white LEDs rated the same in 5mm and 3mm. If you are only using 3-4 you will be fine. Go to this link, type in the info and it will tell you what resistors to use.
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
Here is a link to my MWM.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/directorcass/196_9606.jpg
Linky to my build.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=165021

·
Registered
553 Posts
All depends on how they are wired, if they are wired in series ( end to end) at 3 volts each you can only run 3 off a 9v battery (3 x 3 = 9).
I'm building a PL refit lit with led's all connected in parallel, there is about 70 led's and it will all run off one 9v battery, but it's not very bright and wears the battery down quickly.

Hope this helps

John

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
What size is the smallest LED available?

Some time ago, some modellers here were drilling holes right into their LEDs to insert fiber optics. How far into an LED can you drill before you hit the light and destroy it?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
veedubb67 said:
It's easier to shrink-tube fiber optics to the top of the LED.
Sounds like a good idea. Question: is there a clear adhesive, which would effectively bond optic fiber to an LED? And, would this help, to transmit more of the light?

The fiber optic idea sounds like a good way to light the Seaview tailfins. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I don't know what shrink-tubing is, but it does sound better than drilling.

But what are the smallest LEDs on the market? the problem with fiber optics is they put out a directional light rather than being visible from many angles. Mushrooming them doesn't cut it. I need a couple of wingtip lights for a kit I want to have interior lighting for as well.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
The smallest LED that is not a surface mount is 1.5mm that I have seen. Heat shrink tubing is a rubber type tube that you slip over a soldered joint, you apply heat (not flame) and it "shrinks" around the joint insulating the bare wires. For fiber optic you would put a bundle in a piece of HST and shrink it and shrink the other end over the tip of an LED.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
dreamer said:
But what are the smallest LEDs on the market? the problem with fiber optics is they put out a directional light rather than being visible from many angles. Mushrooming them doesn't cut it. I need a couple of wingtip lights for a kit I want to have interior lighting for as well.
Last year I did a Yoda dio for WF with his lightsaber lit. I ran some fiber up through his torso and arm to the lightsaber base. The fiber lit a piece of clear green styrene rod. You could probably do the same with your wingtip lights.

Rob

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
veedubb67 said:
Last year I did a Yoda dio for WF with his lightsaber lit. I ran some fiber up through his torso and arm to the lightsaber base. The fiber lit a piece of clear green styrene rod. You could probably do the same with your wingtip lights.

Rob
Very cool dio, Rob! Thanks for the tip, I'll play around with that.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Are you building the Polar Lights Seaview? If so it will have to be very fine fibor optic strand for the fin lights and a small drill bit to make the opening. I thought about doing that but decided not to.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am going to light the nose and drill 2 small holes in the belly for the spotlights and run another light up inside the conning tower where i am going to drill 2 very small holes and place red on one side and marine green on the other and the holes will be backed with colored lens.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I recieved a 4 LED light system with on/off switch and a snap connector so i can put the switch into the seaview base. Robiwon did an outstanding light setup for me and now thanks to him, my seaview will come to life, thanks Robert !

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Bert, I'm glad you like them and your welcome. Need to see pics when your done. I may be new here but glad to help out anyone I can.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Robiwon, and welcome to the forums, you will find a lot of experience here and fellow modelers more than happy to help. Robiwon, the light circuit you made for me is outstanding, lights in a model really make it stand out and come to life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts