Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greeting all i recently got the polar lights refit enterprise and i want to light this beast of a model after racking my brains and figuring my nonexistant hobby budget i came across some led mini christmas lights that were battery powered now my question is if i bought say a string of white and a string of blue both retailing 13 bucks and i removed the unwanted lights but still connected the wireing to the battery pack and adding different colors where then need to be is this possible? that way i can use pin hole size holes where the neck mets the secondary hull plus not putting any holes on the out side of the model i want to make the deflector dish removable so i can get to the battery pack i hope this makes since lol :confused:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've actually used battery-powered mini-LED Christmas lights (that were $4 or $5 per set of 18) in a model. You could probably switch blues with whites, just be sure to be careful with keeping track of which wires go where. Personally I'd be hesitant to try to swap them out if they're not removable bulbs, but if you have a strand with removable LED bulbs, it shouldn't be a problem. Voltage on the blues and whites is usually pretty close to each other.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not to offend you, or anyone else, but I was noting that your decent size post had abolutely no periods or anything, which made it difficult to understand.

·
Registered
306 Posts
LOL i waited all day to get a answer to my question and you nit pick my writing. is that better?

I'm just saying, maybe more people would be able to help you if your statements were broken up, thats all. ;)

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
nx-o1troubles,
Behave! I will not warn you again. You were banned once, I will do it again!

metaphasic,
Welcome! I have thought about your question before. Never tried it before, but it sounds like it should work. It is worth a try, out side a model, and see if it works.
As cheap as LED Christmas lights are getting, it is worth the test.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Be careful if you are removing lights from the string all together. If the string is wired in series and you remove lights (and splice across the empty socket), then the remaining lights will burn hotter, brighter, and have a shorter life.

Another thing to check out: go to Walgreens in the automotive section. They have CCF flurescents and LEDs (for car accent lighting) that run on 12 volts DC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts