Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Well, that's a difficult one. I see the point of either. Yes, a lot of the customs and dioramas are very awesome. Even some of the junk yards. Sometimes personal attachment plays into it. I would hate to see some vintage cars modified or changed. Then again I've seen some great restorations of cars which would otherwise be good for the rubbish bin.

I'd say leave those cars alone which have value and a certain condition, not the real beaters. Secondly, have fun. I have seen videos by Mr John where he shows a perfectly good car and says that one gets new wheels and whatever. I cringe but I see that he enjoys himself so more power to him. And some restorations are very true to the beaten original like chorton's postings in the current "BP thread" in the Matchbox forum. Surely it's personal choice and preference and sometimes I want to scream "what are you doing" but fun is fun.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I am totally against customizing and modifying. I wouldnt DREAM of swapping wheels or adding detail paint. Yeah right.

I see both sides too. I have some cars in my collection that will remain stock as long as they are in my collection. But I have been known to buy things specifcally to part them out. For instance, I found Maistos for $1.50 once and I bought 8 or 10 of them. I think I still have 2 but all 10 sets of wheels are still around.

Like you said kiwi, have fun.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I say leave the old stuff alone, unless it's a complete parts car. I'm a purist at heart, so I'm not a big fan of changing something just to be different. But I'm also an artist, and understand the desire to have a hand in making something your own. When it comes to common off the rack cars, especially ones that are still being made, I say go for it and have fun. Especially when it comes to basic wheel swaps, which are fairly benign and reversible.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I say it depends on your preference.

Let me lay my cards on the table here, as I am a customizer: I may take a "beater" diecast car and dismantle it, repair or replace the pieces within. Many of you have seen my work on YouTube as well as here on HT. If you like to make it look more "realistic" then there are a variety of ideas; many a time I kitbash parts off a model, cut and fabricate to conform to my projects (i.e. convertible boots, bumpers, etc.) I guess the bottom line is do what YOU like - even if it's a "one-off" of a certain model. Some will like it, others may not, but to each his/her own.

Mr. John and I both share a mutual interest: we love what we do.

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
To be or not to be that is the question!...So the blue pill or red pill!..lol!

If its a classic leave it along bro!.....but if the situation was you brought it and got left out for years and near death looking then Modified it and bring out to life.....BUT! not in this case my opinion!.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I think they are more talking about the 1/18th guys in that short article...

I hate seeing people part out perfectly good Tonka trucks on eBay, but I understand that some people are more about the almighty buck then preserving history. I would rather buy a reproduction part than a part from these people, but it is their right to do what they want with their property.

As far as Hot Wheels, I like spending time in the customizing forum and seeing what people can do with these cars. I don't cringe at them cutting up a brand new $5 or $10 car as I know these are so overly mass produced and each one taken off the market boosts the value of those left on the market. As for near mint 60s-80s stuff, that might be another story as junkers are so easy to come by.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
My ears are burning!!!! :lol:
M2's don't touch'em there art right out of the box!
Greenlight's same deal!
Mainline anything, it's gett'in hacked!!!!! Sorry!
Treasure Hunt's never! Unless I want the wheels! Which hasn't happened yet! :lol:
Vintage played with anything in good to fair shape, no way!
Vintage abused it's gett'in hacked!!!!! Sorry!

These are my rules!
Learn'um!
Live'um!

All hail Mr. John! :lol:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
some cars i like how they left the factory, some get modified, some get enhancements aka detailing to make it look more like the 1:1 version. what i say is, we all love diecast no matter if we cut them up, chop them up, rust them, junk them,collect them in packages, to collecting them and letting them breathe. in the end we all love the ZAMAC that is pressed into shapes of cars we would love to own(or do own) and enjoy all the same just in different clothing. so everyone just needs to show respect nomatter what they choose to do. because in the end it is just a hunk of ZAMAC and plastic bits, none the less purdy plastic bits!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Mostly, it depends on how much I paid for them. Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Maisto, don't have a problem modifying most of them if I feel the need. In fact, I have four downstairs in the shop that have been partially complete for months. Need to get back to them and finish them up. I have a larger 1:24 scale car that has been disassembled in preparation for conversion to a convertible.

Otherwise I tend to leave them be. I do a lot of model building, so my customising needs are covered through that (which is why my five projects haven't moved forward in a while). I'd never consider altering my Motor Max Mako shark, but I have thought about a wheel swap on my Shelby Cobra from Jada.

So long story short, a little of this, a little of that...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts