Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having problems breaking the right side (front) motor mount (Zenoah case) ?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I did when I fisrt started using the laydown motor kit . But have fixed the problem and still use it with good results ,,,,, the cnc cant fix everything ,,,Robert :thumbsup:

·
Registered
612 Posts
The angle of the lay down mount might need to be changed a little ,Here's how ,,, INSTALL right side bolts, install and tighen lay down mnt to clutch bell housing ,Yours must not be sitting flat on motor plate one end of it must be up , that is what puts stress on the right side of motor plate and snaps the cover by the bolt , I will file a little off from the laydown mnt where it bolts to the clutch housing ,, For the L mnt style only

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I didnt have a problem with my straight rail wcm but my caged car snapped in two places with the same mount out of the straight frame. MY other caged car has a differnt laydown mount with washer under the right side..

·
Registered
163 Posts
What is the main reason for the "lay down" motor? I would assume for more fwd weight for pavement racing but besides that, is there any other advantages?

Thanks for any info.

Jeff Harper

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
What is the main reason for the "lay down" motor? I would assume for more fwd weight for pavement racing but besides that, is there any other advantages?

Thanks for any info.

Jeff Harper
I will have to say, cooler air to carb, very easy to adjust carb and or replacement of carb.. there seems to be the pro's and con's for everyone with the laydown..

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Well this is what I have found out verses one or the other and I run both easier carb adjustment on the laydown the weight transfer is not enough to notice due to the angle of the laydown and were the motor mounts to the chassis you can get 4 scales out put the car on it no change in corner weights standup or laydown think it does give you cleaner air on a sprint but on a full body car no because turbulent air comes from under it and it does not matter were the carb is cause it will be the same mix of air and exhaust

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Laydown

Thanks for any info.

Jeff Harper
Jeff:
I must confess that myself and Randy Baker were the first to lay the motor down, other than Bob Elliott in his sprint car. Randy and I discussed the issue on a trip back from Texas and the main reason was to get the carb up in cooler air and the exhaust down and out the bottom of the car. This keeps the carb away from behind the motor and exhaust heat.
Fred

·
Turning Left
323 Posts
The angle of the lay down mount might need to be changed a little ,Here's how ,,, INSTALL right side bolts, install and tighen lay down mnt to clutch bell housing ,Yours must not be sitting flat on motor plate one end of it must be up , that is what puts stress on the right side of motor plate and snaps the cover by the bolt , I will file a little off from the laydown mnt where it bolts to the clutch housing ,, For the L mnt style only
Thanks Bob.... I noticed that on my sprinter and yes it has gone through a few covers. The "L" bracket will be seeing a grinding wheel this evening!!! Mine actually has about a 1/16" gap at the rear! I think this makes it hard to set the belt tension as well!

·
Registered
612 Posts
And if its up in the rear then you will need do sum fileing on it , There is another thing that I am doing the bolts are metric [5mm] ,I have replaced the old ones with new ,havent stripped out a hole in awhile either , The 10-32 fit and tighen it down but they will after use will strip out the motor housing,And yes the belt is effected by the angle of the mnt when you tighten the motor down . On my WCM I no longer use the spacer's between motor and motor plate,I also make my lay down motor mnt to pull the motor over a little ,this is working an adding alittle camber to the angle of my pinion , Afew things that break the laydown motor mnt ,are no bolts on the right side, putting shims between mnt and motor plate , We have broke lay down mnts doing both these things Robert

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And if its up in the rear then you will need do sum fileing on it , There is another thing that I am doing the bolts are metric [5mm] ,I have replaced the old ones with new ,havent stripped out a hole in awhile either , The 10-32 fit and tighen it down but they will after use will strip out the motor housing,And yes the belt is effected by the angle of the mnt when you tighten the motor down . On my WCM I no longer use the spacer's between motor and motor plate,I also make my lay down motor mnt to pull the motor over a little ,this is working an adding alittle camber to the angle of my pinion , Afew things that break the laydown motor mnt ,are no bolts on the right side, putting shims between mnt and motor plate , We have broke lay down mnts doing both these things Robert
Thanks for all the info. That's what I thought (and will do). It seems as if the right back needs a (1/16) washer under it. Maybe both rears...?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts