Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
polan rider won't stay running

Hello I have a Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP OHV engine. It will run fine if I have the ideal at half way or less. If I move the throttle over half way if coughs and sputters and dies and blow white smoke out the air intake. I have cleaned the carburetor, changed head, valves, and also lapped the valves. Put on a new gas filter, air filter, and still nothing still does the same thing. I have also adjusted the valve clearance for the intake and the exhaust. I have also even run sea foam through the motor by putting some in the gas tank and still nothing changed. I can run full throttle if the motor is cold but warms up then coughs and sputters and dies. If anyone can help me please email me at [email protected] or call me at 815-708-4810 and ask for rob. Please leave message if you call and no answer. Thanks rob

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Did you adjust the valves according to the briggs specifications?It sounds like the valves stems are expanding after getting hot and you are losing clearance between the rocker arms and valves.Here is a link to the correct procedure for adjusting briggs over head valves.The bottom of the page has the info you need and is important that the piston is 1/4" past top dead center.Hope this helps.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/Servicing the valves/

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Hello I have a Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP OHV engine. It will run fine if I have the ideal at half way or less. If I move the throttle over half way if coughs and sputters and dies and blow white smoke out the air intake. I have cleaned the carburetor, changed head, valves, and also lapped the valves. Put on a new gas filter, air filter, and still nothing still does the same thing. I have also adjusted the valve clearance for the intake and the exhaust. I have also even run sea foam through the motor by putting some in the gas tank and still nothing changed. I can run full throttle if the motor is cold but warms up then coughs and sputters and dies. If anyone can help me please email me at [email protected] or call me at 815-708-4810 and ask for rob. Please leave message if you call and no answer. Thanks rob
Check and make sure that the oil level in the engine is not overfull and that the oil does not smell like gas. There could be oil contamination causing this and it's also possible that you might have a blown head gasket or possibly even a worn camshaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's great....I wish my problem was that easy. But I can't complain, I've mowed the lawn twice now without incident, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll keep you all posted, many many thanks so far for all the advice thats been given.
Did you ever figure out your problem? I have the same problem. Could use a hand.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts