Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just returned from the Fair, I met with a rep from RC2 concerning the fate of JL. As was told to me, it's "business as usual" pending outcome of the sale of RC2 and its holdings. There were no "clay mockups" or samples of soon-to-be-released new castings, but JL--so it is said--will continue releasing new products until further notice. There is NO word as to whether the sale of RC2 will force JL to discontinue, but from what I've gathered, it is not known as to whether it will be around in 2008 and beyond.

From what has been seen, RC2 is heavily focusing on childrens' toys. While there were some sets displayed (i.e. Muscle Cars, Head to Head, Trucks & SUV's) it so seems that the overhead in marketing and sales of die-cast has overwhelmed RC2/JL. Hence, paying more for a die-cast car at the local store. Moreover, JL is slowly moving away from the major retailers (TRU, Target, etc.) and focusing more upon the "Mom & Pop" hobby shops and online dealers (i.e. Milezone, 1stop diecast, etc.) to move its merchandise. Again, it is not known at the moment as to the fate of JL, but having come a long way in the last dozen years or more, it would be a crying shame to see such a great comany fall by the wayside, because of Corporate greed! It's not about the collector anymore; it's all about the Almighty Dollar! Shame on you, RC2, for ignoring the very people who pay your salary (us, the consumers) and focusing more on "pocket lining" and politics!!!

-Rick

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Well - hopefully if they decide to sell, they can move operations to someone that has the resources, patience, and desire to help the line grow. I guess it wouldn't hurt to for JL to be owned by someone/something that doesn't have too much on it's plate to concentrate on the line, instead of other endeavours. Not blaming RC2 for trying to get out, but it seems like they should have had a better idea as to what they were getting into when they bought. Bring on a better RC2, or a new owner!

PS - Thanks for the update Rick.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Thanks for the info THAT really sounds like BAD news......

prayingmantis said:
Thanks for the info. Did they do any TF cars for this year??
Yeah they made 700 of these BUT want to figure out how much they should charge before they sell em to us :freak: :tongue:
No posting of pics from Rc2

Just kidding, dont really know about any TF cars this year :(

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will be heading up to Toy Fair tomorrow and will be sure to stop by RC2. I am not surprised about the outcome of JL; they will end up taking a huge loss when they decide to sell it, because of, as you said, corporate greed.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
FastC6Vette said:
Thanks for the info. I will be heading up to Toy Fair tomorrow and will be sure to stop by RC2. I am not surprised about the outcome of JL; they will end up taking a huge loss when they decide to sell it, because of, as you said, corporate greed.
Keep an eye out for Hobby Talk member HobbyRI (Steve). I believe he goes to this event every year as he works in a hobby shop in Rhode Island. Steve, if you see this, PM me! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
eyecandy said:
I'll start the bidding at $10
LOL! I'll bid $15.01

Hmmm, makes me wonder if RC2 bought JL to gain a larger market share so they can hype up their sales pitch on the selling block.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Ricky2400 said:
It's not about the collector anymore; it's all about the Almighty Dollar!
-Rick
Thanks for the article Rick but I have to question this. The botton line for any business is bringing in the dollar. I have worked at plenty of non-profit hospitals that are wonderful at helping the less fortunate but at the end of the day they still have to be making the dollar. Not being privy to RC2's financial statements I could not even make a guess as to what is happening in that arena. It may just be that Tom Lowe saw the writing on the wall just like Peter O'Malley did with the Dodgers and sold it off before the bottom fell out.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts