Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got these in the mail from the Sarge yesterday, in addition to his great Mal pistol he's added Jayne's BF revolver, grenades, and the Serenity's PAL intercom boxes!

The grenade and PAL box sell together for $25 + $5 shipping. Sarge ask me to pass on the first 25 customers will get free shipping, you can email him at [email protected].

This is a good time to get Mal's pistol if you missed it the first time, Sarge just redid the mold and the castings are very clean and crisp on my new one!

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Scott, thanks for the info. I already have Mal's and Jayne's guns. The grenade and PAL box, will be a great addition to my growing collection from Firefly/Serenty.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have read elsewhere about issues with the Mal pistol. Drooping/warped barrels, some screw heads angled wrong, etc. Are those still issues with this current pistol or have they been resolved? I really want this pistol, but also want high quality.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
jheilman said:
I have read elsewhere about issues with the Mal pistol. Drooping/warped barrels, some screw heads angled wrong, etc. Are those still issues with this current pistol or have they been resolved? I really want this pistol, but also want high quality.
I've built 3-4 of these, and none have had any barrel problems. Since it's a one piece cast I can't imagine there's that much variation.

There is another Mal pistol by another maker, I bought one at WF last year. It was more expensive, undersized, and the detail was very soft and inaccurate.

some screw heads angled wrong
I never have seen this on any of Sarge's guns. What I have seen is on both the Mal pistol and his Blade Runner gun is that the many molded screw heads on both kits seem to attract air bubbles and voids. I've found if you fill the void with Bondo or putty, let it set up a bit, and then press an appropriately-sized screw driver tip into it, it's an easy fix. Or you can sand then off and replace them with real screws.

I'm a big fan of Sarge's gun kits, and they are a lot cheaper than other 1-1 resin replicas out there. I like the black resin he uses on his prop replicas, I find it easier to work on than the brittler resin frequently used on garage kits. And his customer service is among the best out there.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
I can't seem to get a hold of the Sarge. After picking a Han Solo ANH Blaster up in a trade(Thanks again Scott!!!) I want the Han Solo "GREEDO KILLER" Blaster.So Sarge if your out there brother....

Get back to me !.......Please....

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John P said:
Phil, you've got the cyliner for Jayne's gun layed out backwards. The notches for the percussion cap nipples (it's a Civil war LeMatt revolver) go to the back of the cylinder.

See: http://www.navyarms.com/html/le_mat_rev.html
Thanks John. I hope I would have caught that before assembly, I just laid everything out together for the picture! Helpful pics too.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think these grenades are pretty cool, I went with a olive drab basecoat.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lloyd Collins said:
Here is a photo of a hero, screen used grenade.

Small world, I've been corresponding with the owner of that exact prop! I sent him a link to this thread and hope he shares more info with the prop geeks of the board, it's a very impressive 'hero" with fairly sophisticated working features.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Your work continues to astound me dude.

I just ordered the Solo ANH blaster. How many pieces does this kit contain. Is it possible to replace bits with metal upgrades? I've wanted this blaster since 1977 and can't wait till it arrives.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jheilman said:
Your work continues to astound me dude.

I just ordered the Solo ANH blaster. How many pieces does this kit contain. Is it possible to replace bits with metal upgrades? I've wanted this blaster since 1977 and can't wait till it arrives.
You should find everything you need right here, including lots of pictures to hold you over till it arrives!

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=164015&page=1&highlight=blaster

If I had to do it all over, I would have used a thicker tubing on the barrel, if you check out the MR blaster pics linked in my original Blaster thread you can see what I mean.

Just take your time, especially dealing with the mold part seams and the trigger. Those are the only things you'll really have to work on much on the kit. And that's just part of prop gun kits, they almost all have that PIA seam seam that has to run thru the trigger guard and trigger, and a one piece trigger/trigger guard. Squadron sanding sticks are really helpfull for smoothing the trigger and trigger guard.

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
The ANH Han Solo Blaster is an awesome kit. I am very happy with mine. In fact I am getting the "Greedo Killer" Version next. Sarge does an outstanding job on this stuff.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here's my PAL Communicator and and grenade. The communicator is best seen at the end of Ariel when Mal is talking to Jayne in the airlock, it's obvious it's the same intercom box seen as set dressing thru out the Serenity,it was painted with a coat of flat black paint for that scene and used upside down! I added a back of .040 flat stock, I just cut it a little it a little oversized, glued it down, and sanded away the excess. I weathered the speaker and PAL letters with brass buffable wax, and the "camera" with silver. Anybody know what this thing originally was/did?

Ben/Whitehall is the current owner of one of the hero prop grenades, he supplied me with a lot of reference, and designed the CG lightbar I used to make the decal for the lightbar on my grenade. I think it works pretty well and dresses up the grenade considerably,Thanks Ben! I used olive drab as my basecoat, the small buttons are slate grey, the big one is Krylon flat black with some future brushed on to replicate the shiny plastic knob on the hero.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Scott,Excellent Work! Looks ready for action.

Whitefall does some really fantastic work. I got many Firefly/Serenity paper props, from Ben for my collection.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Scott, you totally ROCK!!! LOVE that decal!!! Gee, if you send it to me as a JPEG I could print it on white decal film to include with kits, hint-hint-hint...

By the way--- The PAL was originally used as a 'body alarm' for prison guards (PAL Standing for Personal ALarm). Out on the cell block, if you got surrounded by inmates you'd just trip the alarm and help would (hopefully) come running.

---Da Sarge

1 - 20 of 30 Posts