Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am off to the Philippines. Wish I could stay in Manila for a while but I only have a 5 hour layover than it's off to the south where I hope not to get involved with the pre-election activity. I will be in Cebu on the 18th. Fiancees brother says there is a store that has a lot of Tomica so wish me luck.
See you guys after holidays.

PS: I haven't forgotten you 69Stang. Life has been a bit of a mess but I have your stuff still

Merry Christmas and stay safe.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Right back at you Atencio! Have a very safe travel, Merry Christmas and God Speed.

We look forward to your return and lots of great cars to post up photos off. Don't worry about my stuff, I had completely forgotten!

Have funn , see you in January!

Ward

·
Registered
750 Posts
See ya Atencio and Happy Holidays to you as well!!! I wish you safe travels and good luck on your Journey and have a great time finding all those great pieces that are hard to get here!! Talk to u in 2010

Don

·
Registered
256 Posts
if ever you do find time to come to manila..give me a shout ..i will try and tour you to fellow diecast collectors here and maybe some rounds of beer!

happy holidays!!

and Mabuhay!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
HEY BROTHER ATENCIO!!! Welcome home, I hope you had a safe and fun trip! Any pics of this adverture to share? I know there are toy cars in the Philippines! Were glad your back.

I saw you posting a little in the last few days, it just took a while to relize that ment you were home!

·
7,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Stang

I had a great time. Not really humid. I did not get bit by a single mosquito and did not get sick. People were great there. Visited fiancees classroom for their Christmas party. She is a second year high school teacher but here they would be 8th graders. Her school has programs for students so they specialize in a certain subject and then round out rest of classes with math, english, etc. My Fiancee is an English teacher by profession and teaches media arts. She is home room adviser for 2nd year students specializing in performing arts so as such the kids put on a very good program for their Christmas party. I brought in 22 pounds of chocolate from the U.S. for their party so of course all the kids loved me. I plan to go back in April, where the heat will surely be unbearable.

Diecast wise Tomica was the name of the game in Butuan City. There were a few Jada cars but otherwise it was just Tomica. Price came out to about $4.00 for regular line and $6.00 for Limited series.

When I visted Cebu, which is the second largest city in the country my options were a little better. The store I went to had a decent assortment of Tomica, some Siku, PM era Johnny Lightning, and about 10 pegs of mainline HW. I also picked up a car from some company I had never heard of and a diecast sample of a Jeepney.

I packed up all my diecast so cant show pictures. Planning on moviing this month (Though I left out the cars I owe someone..hehe. I will mail it honest).

This is a list of what I brought home
(Main)
5-Toyota hB
8-NIssan Skyline
11- Subaru Impreza Wrx STI
17-Nissan Cube
19-Daihatatsu Mira
32-Toyota Crown
33-Toyota Supra
61-Suzuki Swift Sport
64-Honda S2000
67-Mirsubushi Lancer Evolution X
71-Suzuki Wagon R
72-Toyota Mark X
81- Honda-NSX-R
82-Toyota Passo
88-Toyota Will Cypha
94-Mazda RX-7
100-Honda-Fit
106-Toyota Prius
107-Toyota VOXY
113-Nissan Skyline

Limited
0055- Denso Sard Supra GT
0065- Raybrig NSX
0073- Toyota Crown
0082-Honda Civic GL

The Supra and NSX were very nice samples of race cars

·
7,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Real cars
Not a lot of private autos seen on highways. What I did see were mostly SUV's by nature. Many looked similar to US models but named different. I did see one Expedition but otherwise not many US cars.

Most people get by on public transportation. There are pedaled tricycles (cant remember actual name) that are bikes with seats attached like side car. There are motorized tricycles with big metal side cars. Multi-cabs which are little pickup trucks with seats in the back, and a few auto taxi's (though not many)
Only saw a couple of the bigger Jeepneys and Buses. I guess they are used more for city to city driving.

Fiancees road, you can see why SUV's would be popular

Tricycle

Multi-cab

You can see not much auto traffic. This is at one and only mall in city

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Love the pics, I would have not thought of few public cars! The list of diecast also looks super, and for $6 US that is a great price for the nicer limited castings. Are you moving to the Philippines at some point, are will she be returning to the states?

By the way, I bet you WERE the cat's meow with all that chocolate!

·
7,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will bring her over here on a CR-1 visa (married). Process takes at least 6-7 months and we are not even married yet. She would prefer I move there but I am stuck here for at least 7 more years. By then I will have full medical benefits if I retire and make enough on pension that I could live ok there if we did move. I would rather though just get a vacation house there. I don't think I could live there all year round

1 - 16 of 16 Posts