1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,779 Posts
I have this one in my hotwheels collection. 👍

·
Administrator
26,978 Posts
My understanding is that with the use of the BW in the 2011 Hot Ones Series the center ring became a continuous circle with the spokes. And in 2013, returned to being a ring beneath the spokes like the original BW design.

I did say mainline...
When you do say mainline though. How do you characterize that though over the history of Hot Wheels production?

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding is that with the use of the BW in the 2011 Hot Ones Series the center ring became a continuous circle with the spokes. And in 2013, returned to being a ring beneath the spokes like the original BW design.
When you do say mainline though. How do you characterize that though over the history of Hot Wheels production?
I guess the best way would be to say the ones available in retail stores at the $1 price point?

·
Administrator
26,978 Posts
That's a pretty good viewpoint. I hear many different ones all the time.

Some people dont include $THs and rTHs because they are a limited release and more valuable than a regular or basic car. Same for ZAMACs and other exclusives. I guess they are looking more at the value than the issue/distribution details for their perspective.

And Mattel has also changed up their own names (references) for the mainline line up over time as well. IIRC correctly the earliest offerings were not numbered and called California Custom Miniatures, but try to find anyone who doesnt just call them Redlines. Then came the BWed Flying Colors and Customs. Super Chromes; Collector #s, segment series, basics, and other series and collection designations over time all distributed with the basic cars in the mainline cases.

During that middle time period many years of mainlines also had a segment or group of castings that were not in a segment series or colllection - just numbered in the mainline sequence. Since the 2000s though, they all have had a segment name and sometimes a 2nd segment group name designation on their card front or backs

The Mystery Cars are a good example of how things changed as well. They started out as a part of the mainlines - as one of the segment series. And are now a separately distributed series with its own unique non mainline style packaging, but still around that $1 price point, too.

I also run across many people who dont realize the BW wheel design changed for a brief time period and then came back to the original design as above. But we dont have a designation for BW IIs that I am aware of anywhere for those years or years.

I also think the current BW design is not exactly the same as the original with the spokes not being as recessed (and a bit wider) at the rim edge of the wheel portion and should warrant a designation of BW IIIs. It could though just be the paint used on the chromed, yellow, white and silver ones that fills that depth more than the unpainted black ones.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I kinda noticed over the years, that the blackwalls and redlines that they re-did, were different.

What I really noticed is when they did the commemorative redlines back in the 90's, that the red lines on the tires were so dark, you could hardly tell there were even there.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I kinda noticed over the years, that the blackwalls and redlines that they re-did, were different.

What I really noticed is when they did the commemorative redlines back in the 90's, that the red lines on the tires were so dark, you could hardly tell there were even there.
I took a look at the ones I have and only 1 has a decent amount of color to it. And that one is from the 25th Anniversary series.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts