Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take possession of my 1st House tomorrow. I have the uninteresting task of cleaning it inside and out before we officially move in. However. I will gain a garage and possibly a section of the basement for which to run my slots. As much as I'd like to build a track for myself, I have committed myself to build a track for my church youth group. I recently gave them some more cars to run and I'd like to build a permanent/portable 4 lane track to race on.

I have a lot of tyco track, so I think I will run with that. I need some direction as I've never done this before. I will have to keep costs down as my budget is nearly zilch. I'm not sure what would be best for the base. I need something they can put away after use, so I'm thinking a large sheet of plywood. I saw a discarded pingpong table which would have been perfect except I have no way to transport it.

What do YOU suggest for a base? remember this will be taken down and put away on a fairly regular basis. I figure i will just use the wall warts for now. I have a donation of blue foam insulation I can use for sprucing it up scenery-wise. Can anybody offer any track Ideas? I'm open to suggestions on size and layouts as I'm going to approach the local hardware store about donating a piece of MDF or Plywood. I'll offer to put some advertising on it.

Comments??? Please talk amongst yourselves and share...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Size Matters ??

Not sure what size you might have considered for the church track P71, but if it is going to be stored and then set-up on a semi-regular basis, a piece of mdf or plywood might be heavy, awkward to store, and might flex more than you realize or want it to as you set it up and take it down. Even basic landscaping and you track connections would take a beating I think. You could attach bracing for support, but that starts to get heavier and heavier with every piece of lumber you add to it (not to mention the added cost).

You might want to consider a hollow core door. They are fairly light even in larger sizes and quite rigid right from the start. I've also seen sold, pairs of folding aluminum table legs, which you could attach to it and create a "table" that's ready to rock in minutes. Also out there are folding tables made of various plastics. Those are pretty inexpensive and a few guys have used them for these same kinds of stow-away layouts.

NTxSlotCars (Rich) has a thread where he used a folding table. A lot of the pice are gone from the early stages, but maybe he can email some to you? There are some pics left though, starting at page 11 of his Thunderbird thread. http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=290693&page=11

·
Registered
414 Posts
if a hollow door does not give you enough area, you could use a couple sheets of 4x8 luann glued onto a sheet of 4x8 extruded foam board (the pink or blue stuff).
A couple of plastic saw horses works great for support.
Make sure you use adhesive made especially for foam if you do decide to go this route.

Keep us posted on any progress.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas Guys! I think a Hollow Core Door will be best suited to this project. I'm going to keep a lookout for one, maybe see if that Hardware store might me willing to provide one. I should ask the Pastor if he could give a tax receipt for it. Rich's track was a great setup except not "interesting" enough for teens methinks. I think a more twisty and up/over track would be the trick. Thanks for the Links. I will keep you posted as things progress!

BTW, a bunch of family came over and we cleaned the house, carpets and are nearly ready to start moving furniture.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought a hollow core door out of the "seconds" department at a local building supply company. It had slight damage on one side but it didn't matter to me because the price was right - $10.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, didn't even think of that! I'll have to check out the local "Re-Store". Thanks for the tip Al !

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
II saw a discarded pingpong table which would have been perfect except I have no way to transport it.
I'm just curious - if you can't transport a pingpong table, which would fold up, how are you going to transport something larger, like a 4x8 sheet or hollow door?

As mentioned above, go the hardware store and get folding banquet table legs (or take them from an old broken table) and attach them to whatever you use as a base. Then it can simply be folded up and stored against a wall.

Joe

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I'm just curious - if you can't transport a pingpong table, which would fold up, how are you going to transport something larger, like a 4x8 sheet or hollow door?

As mentioned above, go the hardware store and get folding banquet table legs (or take them from an old broken table) and attach them to whatever you use as a base. Then it can simply be folded up and stored against a wall.

Joe
Someone at a yard sale tried to GIVE me a ping-pong table recently. the wood one one side seemed to be separated from the frame, but it was probably repairable. damn, I was tempted; it would have made a perfect table for temporary layouts. but with the big rolling frame and all, the sucker was BIIIIIG. i don't think i could have gotten it in my wife's van. now, a 36x80 door, on the other hand... i think i could get a few of them in the van with no problem, even with the added bulk of folding table legs underneath. in fact, my Altima has a split folding rear seat... wonder if the opening is 3 feet wide? hmmm...

--rick

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Joe
Well I have 2 Chevy Impalas for daily driving. I am selling one and buying a minivan for the wife. I can borrow my father in laws full size pickup, but it is an hour drive round trip, and I didn't feel that what remained of the pinpong table was worth that amount of time and effort, considering it was still a couple days before I took possession of our home LoL. It's all good, it would have been too big for them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I take possession of my 1st House tomorrow.
Hi Plymouth,

Congratulations on your new house! I'm in the same position myself although it will still take a month or so for me to complete and move in. And you posted your thread on my wedding day! Excellent news.

Last year I built my first portable track using some lightweight board I found in a recycled timber yard. By the time I had added strengthening, lightweight wood surround, driver stations, track and spackle kerbing, the board is barely manageable on my own. By the way I would go with cork kerbing and not spackle kerbs! They're way too hard to get smooth and didn't really work out too well. And as you can see, my painting skills are none too good. The measurements are 6.5' by 4'.

Without invading your thread too badly, here are a few pics of construction.

Based on all of that, I would agree that hollowcore doors would be the way to go. Have you looked at the possibility of building the track across two doors and using some kind of side connectors to link them together? You'd get a fantastic big track then.

Or you could run it like our tracks in the UK where we lay a new temporary track out every race night on foldaway tables. That way you could have a new 60'+ layout every race night.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Based on all of that, I would agree that hollowcore doors would be the way to go. Have you looked at the possibility of building the track across two doors and using some kind of side connectors to link them together? You'd get a fantastic big track then.

Or you could run it like our tracks in the UK where we lay a new temporary track out every race night on foldaway tables. That way you could have a new 60'+ layout every race night.

Interesting. I might give it a try, however, time and money are not on my side for 2 doors. I don`t think i`d have enough track for that. Time is also a factor and setting up a different 4 lane track when ever they wanted to race could deter them, keeping in mind they are teenagers of course! Thank you for sharing, ideas are always welcome. Looks like you`ve had some fun with that track!

·
Registered
272 Posts
As it is a church build, I'm sure a few appeals during services, written notices up and about could possibly help yield up a door. Don't forget that the door doesn't have to be immaculate condition.

As you say, the temporary builds might not work for you. Woodcote informs me that the team at WHO take about 45 minutes to get a track built and ready to race each week.

Anyway, best of luck and I'll be watching with interest.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the Idea Gareth. I spoke to one of the organizers at the Church and he has come up with some floding table legs for me! Now to track down a hollow core door. Might have to wait until I get the mini van. We're buying my Brother in-laws Montana. Good shape and it's cheap. Thinking of some slight modifications... Like THIS Apparently this "kit" will fit the 3.4 in the mini van, just gotta convince the Mrs that it will increase fuel mileage...

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Congrats on the house!I`m having no luck finding one yet but I gotts just keep looking.When I was a kid I had a 4x8 table bolted to the wall over my bed and hinged so it would drop down right over it.Not sure your church would want something bolted to thier wall though.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I was gonna suggest actually asking your church if they have some of the materials you may need. Depending on the size of the church, sometimes they have closets full of old tables and chairs, and sometimes they're in dubious shape....might find something to fix up.

Ether that or throw a wanted ad up on Kijiji or something like that. Sometimes you'd be surprised what'll turn up.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I just hit the next snag. Tyco Track. I thought I had lots, but I'm in need of a lot of larger radius turns, long & short. I'm gonna have to find a track editor and try to figure out what I need, I just know that what I have won't work. :( I'm gonna have to do a lot of horse trading or begging. Unfortunately Track is not something my church is likely to have.

·
BANNED
8,104 Posts
I have some tyco track, but I don't have a current list. let me know what you need, no problem.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts