Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a heads up to give everone some info to get ready for another exciting season of on-road carpet racing at Larry's Performance R/C's.

Larry's will be racing carpet on-road on Fridays and Sundays again. Fridays will start one of the last few weeks in September and Sundays will start in October.

Larry is getting new carpet this year and it is to be installed duing the first couple of weeks or so in September.

FYI The carpet is the same kind that is used for the Nats and such around the country.

Classes will be 12th and sedan, Novice, stock, 19 turn and open.

Here's a question for you as well; Is there any interest in a dedicated night during the week like Tuesdays for an 18th scale only night? perhaps mini-t's as well?

Post any other questions you have about racing at Larry's here.

Keep posted here for the exact starting dates and other info for Fridays to start sometime in September at Larrys.

Thank you,

Dennis.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Dennis - What nights is Larry thinking about for on-road? Friday and Sunday? Do you think there will be a few weekly series events this year?

Idea for you. Maybe add 1/12th scale to the 1/18th scale and Mini T night. That seems like a logical way to get the numbers up a little. Lot's of rookies with 1/12th scales who may want to run on a less competition heavy night?

As for the Carpet Racing League, I will probably move it to Saturday's so the Larry's crowd can run the CRL and any weekly Larry's Sunday series. Maybe Saturday is a good day for Ovals?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm in in for 1/12th scale mod. I'm not done sniffing nitro yet, but when its too cold for that I'll be in. Some of us 8th scalers seriously have the need for speed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the input.
Fri and sun have been good for a while so that will go on this season as before with some series and fun stuff thrown in on Sundays.

I will mention the weekly 1/12 - Mini idea to Larry..

Larry was wondering if a night during the week could be dedicated to the mini stuff and he wanted me to test the waters.

In the past I know the oval thing didn't work a few different times Larry has tried it.
I will mention your post though.

Keith on the CRL, if you were going to have one at Larrys, I am booked on Saturdays through October with coaching soccer.

BTW Keith I haven't talked to you in a while, congrats on the Region 5 off road race. You guys deserve it.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
D. Holcomb said:
Thanks for the input.
Fri and sun have been good for a while so that will go on this season as before with some series and fun stuff thrown in on Sundays.

I will mention the weekly 1/12 - Mini idea to Larry..

Larry was wondering if a night during the week could be dedicated to the mini stuff and he wanted me to test the waters.

In the past I know the oval thing didn't work a few different times Larry has tried it.
I will mention your post though.

Keith on the CRL, if you were going to have one at Larrys, I am booked on Saturdays through October with coaching soccer.

BTW Keith I haven't talked to you in a while, congrats on the Region 5 off road race. You guys deserve it.
I like Keith's idea about the mini and sort of a newbe 12th scale class. Maybe even the Tamiya minis but I think having a night for the mini stuff woudl be cool. I knwo a ton of people that have them and are afraid to run with the big cars.

I know Larry has tried the oval thing and I think the way the track is laid out now would make for a great oval. Almost like a mini Indy with 4 defined turns not just one big one. I know that there are a ton of oval racers that love to race and they do travel. I know last year some guys form Grand Rapids and further away drove to Lansing to race on a fri night and then to Fort Wayne 3 hours away to race on a sat night. The biggest thing that Larry hasn't done in the past is give advanced notice as to when an oval race is. A week before hand doesn't cut it. I know a bunch of guys that drive 8 or more hours round trip to race in Fort Wayne and for some reason oval racers are not afraid to travel liek other racers are. If Larry's does have oval let everyone know with some advanced notice and I know it will be a good day of racing. Remember oval isn't just pan cars but they race trucks, buggies and the Touring Cars are a blast because you can really rub fenders and cars don't go flying.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
262 Posts
tomwattskelley said:
I'm in in for 1/12th scale mod. I'm not done sniffing nitro yet, but when its too cold for that I'll be in. Some of us 8th scalers seriously have the need for speed.
Mod 1/12 for me too!! :thumbsup: And mod TC.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I heard that the track will reopen on Sept. 13. If that happens I'll be there that Thu. to start getting ready for the Champs. :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Dennis, looking forward to the new season!

I would be in for a mini night during the week if we could keep things cheap, maybe stock motors and rubber tires just for fun. Wednesday's would be cool, maybe mini-t's with a few plastic jumps in the slow sections.

Jason

·
Registered
178 Posts
hey i might want to run 1/18th micro class. Thats a great idea to get newbies out there for fun and cheap racing. Plus there would be some experienced racers around doing it for fun to help the newbies figure it out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
First, Adam there is no set start date. Look for the last couple Fridays in Sept. Depending on the new carpet and other construction.

No Oval. Sorry guys.

Mini class will not be run on Friday or Sunday.

As many of you know Larry has taken over the whole building.

Larry plans on building a stand alone mini track for stadium and on-road.

no days, classes or anything else at this point.

I'll be out of town next week. If you post after tomorrow I'll answer when I get back.

Thanks, Dennis.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
D. Holcomb said:
First, Adam there is no set start date. Look for the last couple Fridays in Sept. Depending on the new carpet and other construction.

No Oval. Sorry guys.

Mini class will not be run on Friday or Sunday.

As many of you know Larry has taken over the whole building.

Larry plans on building a stand alone mini track for stadium and on-road.

no days, classes or anything else at this point.

I'll be out of town next week. If you post after tomorrow I'll answer when I get back.

Thanks, Dennis.
Bummer about the oval stuff. I had a bunch of guys ask me about it when they saw Davz and ernie post stuff. Oh well.

Sense no one has asked yet I will. Has Larry changed his mind on Paragon Ground Effects?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'd like to thank Larry for giving us a place to race these last 7 or 8 years. Once you realize that over 90% of his business comes from NON racers you really have to be thankful that he keeps the track open. Not only that, but to put new carpet down and to set up a mini track... well... how cool is that? I've seen his remodeling effort and it's FIRST CLASS. I think the local racers are pretty lucky..... Thanks Larry !

Barry Z.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, I would never have imaged 90% of the business was non-racers. I just started racing last year and I'm hooked. We are very fortunate to have such a nice facility near by. I am looking forward to checking out the remodeled facility. Is the track going to be about the same size?

I have to say thanks too,

Thanks Larry!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Barry Z nailed it! Larry's is a good place.

Does anyone know if Tony Stewart stopped in yesterday? I got a phone call from a business associate who was doing a promo with Tony. They called me to ask if they were close to any big hobby shops. I was going to send them to Ryders on John R :lol: but then remembered Larry's. What about Mayfield and Casey Kane? They are in D-town for a Dodge event tonight. I hear that they have remote stuff too.

Oh... one more item. Larry has agreed to host two Carpet Racing League events this winter. More to come on that later. Looks like Lansing, Larry's and Toledo. All three are top notch tracks.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Yup, Larry's is top notch.

I'd be up for a little weekday mini racing. Less stuff to carry for the mini-T!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Larry's is a true sponsor of our racing events outdoor as well. He doesn't do it just to make money, he does because he wants to support our efforts. We at the DRCCC have a lot of thanks to give to Larry as well. Not only does Larry care about keeping us supplied with parts in stock for all the types of cars we race, and he allowed us store our club trailer in the parking lot. He even helped us in aquiring a new AMBrc system, even though we couldn't pay for it all at once (now paid for).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keith, 2 CRL's? very cool. FYI I'm not available on Saturdays in October.

I feel the same as you guy's Larry is truly a blessing to the Detroit R/C Community. Kinda like "the Mecca" of R/C.

I'll pass on the kind words, but tell him yourself when you get the chance, he doesn't frequent the message boards.

Thanks,

Dennis

1 - 20 of 250 Posts