Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started out with a few parts from the old Lunar Models kit as a base, but so much has been changed and corrected using detailed images of the studio model during its NX configuration, it is no longer anywhere near the same kit. A complete re-shaping of major sections that includes profiles, lengths, widths, and comparative size ratios from one hull section to another has all been corrected. The 'masters' will allow new hull sections to be vacuum formed in clear very much like Trek studio models were made at ILM.
The Excelsior was started in 2013, worked on through 2018, then shelved for a couple of years - Life gets in the way...
I recently started picking at it again with collaboration with a 3D modeler helping out with some smaller sections of the ship I didn't care to scratch build. We worked great together to bring back the most accurate details possible in areas such as the dorsal torp launchers, aft torp launchers, the deflector dish, the warp nacelle greebles what were originated from a Darth Vader TIE Fighter hatch. The Main Shuttle bay Observation dome is also 3D printed along with the Impulse crystal. You will see a LOT of scratch built sections cut and lathed by hand as well.

Here is the masters in their current state. Hope you like my progress so far.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
There was a fellow on youtube who had 3D printed a 1:1 scale model. It was impressive, but at 8 feet, too big for this 30 foot RV! LOL! I am hoping you plan on duplicating this model for sale. I look forward to parting with my limited income to obtain one from you!

Oh, BTW, Tracy, did you correct for outer ring of the upper saucer so that it is slightly angled upwards from outer to inner edge? Both the LM and The Collective had it completely flat. (HOPING!!!!)
excelbow.jpg

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hi Tracy,

You are welcome. I become a self taught expert on Excelsior by using pics of the shooting model to build a 3D Lightwave model of it. That was 20 years ago and I was hoping to do what you are doing now. But, my lack of income meant not having the means to sculpt it and vacuform it. I look forward to your endeavour's completion, as I would love to buy it!
Thanks!

Reactions: alpink

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Back about 15 years ago Starseeker had posted some drawings of the Excelsior with 100 percent accurate window placements for the secondary hull. I know they're accurate because I printed them out and compared them to photos from Star Trek the magazine series from the '90s as well as images off Trek Core's web site.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Yes I am aware of his post, I also save several of his images from there for reference and when I move to a larger place hopefully I'll get me on made from scratch in a scale of 537.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, Great, Juuuust GREAT!

While looking deeper into fixing the slant in that section on the top of the primary hull charonjr pointed out to me, I noticed something wasn't quite right. That ledge isn't wide enough! I scaled up studio model images to my scale to check the size and shape of the hull. My over-all hull diameter (lower lip) is dead on. The diameter at the upper lip of the side of the hull is dead on - making the angle of the side of the saucer dead on... Turns out... The diameter at the base of the primary hull's dome is 3/16" too big! That is A LOT in this scale, and throughs off the entire side profile of the saucer.

Plan B: The entire dome of the upper saucer is trash - has to come off. I have already traced out a wax paper template in scale to make a butt load of shaped frames for a new dome.

The way this is going, I should have just went ahead and completely scratch-built my own in 1/350! LOL ;-)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Sorry about the wrench I tossed into your project! but, I am very glad of your decision to remake the frames of the upper half of the saucer to make it even more accurate. When you have finished the project and decide to sell, I shall be a proud owner!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Re-doing the upper half of the saucer. Turns out this is a good thing. discovered some dips-n-valleys in the dome that will also be corrected.

Removing the dome section...

Material being removed down to the domes correct diameter.

1mm sheet styrene cemented to the bottom of the dome to re-establish its height and profile.

A hole cut in the center of the dome's base to pour resin re-enforcement...

The resin is slosh cast to get is in all the nooks-n-crevasses...

The hole is sealed closed with painters tape, then hand roto-casted for a few minutes. As the resin began to set, the dome section was clamped down to a flat surface to prevent warping from the heat of the resin curing inside.

Once this fully cures (about 48 hours), I'll begin refining the shape of the edges. I have a very good profile of the dome from some plans scaled to this project. You can see it at the top of the last image. I'll be making a screed blade from that to level and smooth out the surface of the dome.

Tracy

·
Registered
382 Posts
Looking amazing! That compass you were using for trimming down the diameter….what product is that? I'm looking for the most reliable way to rescribe the entire surface of the PL 350 refit (after major recontouring) Because of the curves involved I may just end up doing all sorts of goofy rigs using clamps, but always looking for something more stable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What a wondeful project. I still haven't begun mine, but years ago I spent quite a lot of time drafting some blueprints for my prospective build. Somewhere on this site there should be my (Starseeker) old thread about how I made these drawings and my rationale behind the scaling. A while ago, I uploaded them to Imjur for another builder. They are here, tho' after a couple years, being a complete Imjur novice, I'm not sure how to open them at their actual size. Maybe you have to download them?

There are very few photos of the original Excelsior miniature online. The best, most detailed shots you'll find are of Greg Jein's version, which differs significantly from the original filming miniature.

imgur.com
imgur.com
imgur.com

Great build so far. Best of luck on your/my dream project!!

·
Administrator
35,158 Posts
If you click on your user name to left of one of your posts - it will open a pop up window that will show all the posts you made and all the threads you started. Click on the appropriate one and it will show each list of those types made under that user name. "Your" stargazer posts are there but not sure which post the drawings are (were) in. 🤙

Reactions: StarshipClass

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, a little bit more done fixing the upper saucer...

The ledge ring around the dome is cut with 1mm sheet styrene.

The ring was cemented to a sheet of .5mm, then the downward tapper was roughed in by hand with a Dremel tool and drum sander.

Fillers were added to level the surface and smooth it out.

... then sanded smooth.

On to fixing the shape of the dome, a screed blade was made from my ILM plans scaled to this project.

The first layer of screeding is always the roughest. This is to get the build up needed to raise it up to the correct profile. Several more screeding layers to come until it's built up, and a smooth surface is obtained.

Expecting more 3M Green filler in the mail today. Will add another layer and let it cure while I'm out on a 5-day trip.

Tracy

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
What a wondeful project. I still haven't begun mine, but years ago I spent quite a lot of time drafting some blueprints for my prospective build. Somewhere on this site there should be my (Starseeker) old thread about how I made these drawings and my rationale behind the scaling. A while ago, I uploaded them to Imjur for another builder. They are here, tho' after a couple years, being a complete Imjur novice, I'm not sure how to open them at their actual size. Maybe you have to download them?

There are very few photos of the original Excelsior miniature online. The best, most detailed shots you'll find are of Greg Jein's version, which differs significantly from the original filming miniature.

imgur.com
imgur.com
imgur.com

Great build so far. Best of luck on your/my dream project!!
Back about 5-7 years ago I think it was some one either here or on SSM provided a link to Bill George's imjur post which has several images of the ORIGNAL Excelsior filming model taken out doors showing some great detailing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tracy: Sent you a pm, or started a "conversation", if that is what passes for a pm here these days. It's been a while, and I truly do feel like a Newbie here again. Hope it works.

My original thread, from long ago:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts