Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I've finally started my Landmaster model after sketching it to 1/72 scale based on photos and screen grabs.

I've just made the wheel units so far, just starting to cut out the parts for the base. I plan to do a full interior, including a bike. :)

BTW the wheels came from two Airfix Saracen APC kits.

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
Back in the 80s, a friend of mine and I were cruising up the Hollywood Freeway and off to the side we spotted the Landmaster parked halfway up a hill. We swung over to find it parked in front of Jeffrie's Studios storage building. Sadly in disrepair. If any of you are out in LA maybe you could do a little searching to see if it's still there or what happened to it. IF you find it, be sure to take pictures and include a striped ruler in each shot. Would love to build it in 1/35.

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
Back in the 80s, a friend of mine and I were cruising up the Hollywood Freeway and off to the side we spotted the Landmaster parked halfway up a hill. We swung over to find it parked in front of Jeffrie's Studios storage building. Sadly in disrepair. If any of you are out in LA maybe you could do a little searching to see if it's still there or what happened to it. IF you find it, be sure to take pictures and include a striped ruler in each shot. Would love to build it in 1/35.
The Landmaster was sold and refurbished,and is on the Hot Rod circuit,I saw it at the Cow Palace in S.F. about five years ago :)

P.S. That was the studio and garage of Dean.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I may have been one of the very first fans of the Landmaster back in the day: my dad worked with the man who owned the land in Borrego Springs where the Air Force base set was filmed. While I didn't get to see them film any of the movie there, I did get to visit the set in May or so of '76 after filming was completed there. Left behind in the hanger set were blueprints of the buildings - and of the Landmaster: not sure what those actually were - they were only of the front end of the vehicle, and if I recall, only a side view. I kept them for years. Sadly, they got left behind in my parents house when they moved, and it's doubtful they survived new owners I'm guessing.
Here's one of the pics taken from my visit of the set:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sweeet! I always wanted a model of that thing,and the Ark II. Great start there! Graph paper really comes in handy for rough layout. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some more WIP Photos:

www.xenodyssey.com/portfolio/Models/LandmasterWIP002.jpg

I decided to start from the base up after making the wheel sets, then do the wheel wells and then build up the sides from there. I found I had to reinforce the well sides to add to the area the glue could hold.

www.xenodyssey.com/portfolio/Models/LandmasterWIP002B.jpg

I've built the rear ramp and it's hinges as well as adding it later would have been problematical. Once I have the vertical sides added I go back and add the interior details. Then put the top on, hopefully it will all fit!

I agree, great stuff that graph paper...And yes I've though of doing the Ark II as well.

Since I've been re-reading my Tom Strong comics though I'd like to do his Hypersaucer next. Nice design.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3 Posts
1/7 scale landmaster

Hi to all from Australia, I decided to join up and see what I can learn and maybe help somebody with other ideas. I am currently modelling in 1/6 to 1/8 models both in RC and live diesel railroad locomotives and rolling stock and adding my RC models as freight on flatcars for displays as well as give rides to families and my club.

I have a background in air force avionics and electronics as well as metal fabrication as I build my trains from the ground up then add electronics, audio and video to enhance the models.

I am also trying to put together drawings to build a 1/7 scale model of the Landmaster vehicle from Damnation Alley movie from the 70's and am looking for assistance from anybody who can help and maybe I can help in return. I'm working on using the wheels from a RC monster beetle kit as they will be close enough to scale. The actual model would end up 5ft long x 20" high x 18" wide.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Horey Morey, this I gotta see. Monsters in Motion has a 1/35 Landmaster you could use to scale up. What are you using to power your beast? Will it be articulated (bend in the middle)? Can't wait to see how you handle the gearing of the wheel arrangements. Oh, and welcome silverknight. You're gonna love it here.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been doing mine based on lots of screengrabs from the movie and the plans I drew up and then deviated from. I did find that the current actual prop whose photos you'll find on the net has been changed from the version used in the movie. Especially the intakes situated above the front wheel wells. The movie intakes are a lot shorter.

Do you plan to have much of an interior?

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
Horey Morey, this I gotta see. Monsters in Motion has a 1/35 Landmaster you could use to scale up. What are you using to power your beast? Will it be articulated (bend in the middle)? Can't wait to see how you handle the gearing of the wheel arrangements. Oh, and welcome silverknight. You're gonna love it here.
Hey Bruce,I had that MIM kit,sadly no more.....it was nice.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
JUst another update showing the interior. I'm almost ready to paint the inside, then move back to working on the exterior, trim the wheel wells, add the covers and trim and the rest of the work.

Yes, there is a kitchen sink. And bunks and the shower...
Hey, nice scratch on the interior! Coming along great and gonna look even better when you get the outside body done!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Landmaster measurements

Hi All,
I found an article that says the Landmaster was 35ft long, 10ft 7" wide and 11ft 10.5" high and weighed 11 ton. I have accumulated a heap of pics and now steadily redrawing it so that my model will end up 5ft long x 18" wide and 20" high and capable of R/C with sound effects.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm looking forward to seeing your version.

Will you be making it out of plastic/wood or milling the parts out of metal? For me, the hardest thing to make was those tri-axels. Took me three tries to get a decent template.

Hi All,
I found an article that says the Landmaster was 35ft long, 10ft 7" wide and 11ft 10.5" high and weighed 11 ton. I have accumulated a heap of pics and now steadily redrawing it so that my model will end up 5ft long x 18" wide and 20" high and capable of R/C with sound effects.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts