Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both models are recent Minichamps releases. The Silhouette debuted in 1976 replacing the Uracco. The Silhouette itself, was replaced by the Jalpa in 1981. The Jalpa lasted until the late 80s, and was the last small Lambo until the Gallardo appeared a few years ago.

Silhouette

Jalpa

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ClearHooter said:
Which came first the chicken or the egg? The Silhouette or the X1/9?
Well the Fiat pre-dated the Lamborghini, although the Uracco, on which, the Silhouette is based debuted before the X1/9. Of course, all were drawn, by Bertone.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
The Lamborghini looks much better than the X1/9. Hope it held up better. The 1/9's we were able to maintain on a regular basis held up fair. You didn't dare let the "rubber band" run past 30,000 miles on the 1300's. Though the 1500's wouldn't gobble up exhaust valves they'd still chunk a timing belt between 25 & 35,000 miles. The stupid thing about the 1500's most were AC'd. But the idiots ran a V-belt from the crank to the AC and from the AC to the water pump. You had to have a working AC to have a working water pump! Not too bright.... Oh and the pitch on the V-belts was bastard so the V-belts had to be R&R in pairs with FIAT equipment. Wheel bearings wouldn't stay in. And something would happen to the reverse bearing that caused it to quit oiling and it would start clicking. You had to braek the tranny down oil the gear and it would work fine. At least I'm sure for awhile. I closed shop in 1984 and never had a come-back. The other thing we found about the 1/9 was the factory fuel lines would flick off rubber from inside and get in the emulsion jets and shut the car down. I never worked on a Lamborghini. Surely it didn't have the quirks that the FIAT X1/8 had? Now you know why you don't see any X1/9's still running around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts