Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
25,979 Posts
Would they be a Code 2 or 3 casting then. Where they had the vehicles made to their specs (Code 2) for them or as blanks and then added their own graphics (Code 3)? :lurk5:
@Motorcade do you have a photo of the base in your archives?

Mrs Fox is going to want to add them to her diecast cat collection either way! :D

·
Administrator
25,979 Posts
I would fit both into a code 2 catagory then.

The Subaru ones could also be called dealers promo, but that may be a term that has gone out of fashion/use today.

Is Aeropro the company that also makes the ones for BMW?

·
Registered
674 Posts
What I was told, as I understand, Yamato made these for employees and top tier customers, these were not sold at retail. Consequently there aren't very many available to the collector community, those who were given them tend to hold onto them (its a Japanese thing, I was told). So this is sort of like a business card...on 4 wheels.

My model does have a Tomica vibe, but as you can see by the base this is not typical Tomica construction, nor do the wheels seem typically Tomica. So I really doubt Tomica is involved in any way with the production of these. Likely we will never know who actually made them.

I'd rather not get too far off on a tangent, perhaps a related thread could be started elsewhere, maybe added to the Master Maker List where I posted the other info. I have a gold chrome Cadillac, clearly a dealer promo, whose maker is unknown to me. It is still packaged (I don't want to ruin the finish by handling it). Likewise, I have promo issues from Playing Mantis and Learning Curve era Johnny Lightning, where it is evident JL courted promo issues from customers. Matchbox did the same thing, as well as encouraging Code 2 and Code 3 issues. LLedo was a master at promo issues. So being a promo issue does not by default imply outsourcing, there are diecast companies well known for their promotional departments as an adjunct to their bread and butter retail editions. (Some of the more highly sought Matchbox models are promos that went wrong and were repurposed... ;) )

·
Administrator
25,979 Posts
Loads of Great information there ... Thanks.
I just need to let it all sink in.! :D

I moved the Code discussion posts and copy a few relevant ones from here to a new thread for more discussion and to allow this thread to focus on the castings.

https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/17-diecast-car-collecting/589095-code-1-vs-code-2-vs-code-3-vs-code-4-a.html

IIRC the images #juantoo3 posted are the ones that I saw on eBay this past week.

The last one he posted doesnt look like a Tomica to me either.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
What I was told, as I understand, Yamato made these for employees and top tier customers, these were not sold at retail. Consequently there aren't very many available to the collector community, those who were given them tend to hold onto them (its a Japanese thing, I was told). So this is sort of like a business card...on 4 wheels.

To the best of my knowledge, these were and still are sold directly from Yamato, although I picked most of mine up from Yahoo Auction Japan. I think the 5 truck set might have been a stock holders set, but I'm not certain about that.

Kuroneko Yamato original goods: https://market.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/market/MarketPointTopAction_doInit.action

1 - 14 of 14 Posts