Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest Hemmings die-cast hit gives proper kudos to the new Olds 88 wheel and rim combo. Couldn't agree with you more Jeff. To spend all that time on something like the Tucker to have Cragers and 40 series meats is strange at times. I hope they follow your points and carry this over on many 40-50's tin. The Dodge panel is another nice example. I'm not sure if those are off of a Military Muscle casting but the stance and look are very good.

Good work!

http://www.hemmings.com/newsletter/newsletter.html?volume=2&issue=35&id=934&refer=news&emlid=144607#934

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
wait a minute... i thought that 88 had yellow rims on it (don't have in hand yet) :confused:

ADDED: Well, after reading he mentions they are car color coordinated, but the picture is of unpainted steel rims..

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
Yes, iI never saw any with Chrome rims... only the pale yellow to match the car...

And WOW!!! we made it into a national publication!!!! How cool is that?!?!?! :hat:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Nice article, Jeff. Cool picture too, hope they come out with those chrome rims. And WTG, Rob - now you've hit the big-time!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Macs_Little_Car said:
Yes, iI never saw any with Chrome rims... only the pale yellow to match the car...

And WOW!!! we made it into a national publication!!!! How cool is that?!?!?! :hat:
That's cool Rob. Next thing is we'll probably see your name on the license plate of a JL car. :p

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'll agree. those wheels on the Olds do look fantastic, great detail and size is spot on. I will disagree with the artcle's claim that the 65 Impala convertible rolls on "prototypically correct wheels and tires" though. Yes, the whitewalls and thinner tires are correct for a 65 Impala SS but, the wheel chosen is the from the old RC2 63 Ford Galaxie. You can tell by the rings around the area where the spinner is located and the fact that on The 1:1 65 Chevy, the center is dished in, not extended out. If this were the correct wheel for the Chevy, then why was it also used on the 65 Mustang fastback, 65 Ranchero, and JL's own interpretation of the 63 Galaxie in the Road Trip series?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like the axle tips protruding through the wheel hubs on the '50 Olds and the General Lee.

I bought them both from OLDs, so I didn't notice it in the online photos. From now on I will look much closer before ordering.

It just reminds me too much of the old Tootsietoys:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts