Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's mine:
where i'm from most of the collectors are JERKS!
had one A-HOLE at our kday with his 8 yr old son...
douche bag didn't even want to enjoy the collecting experience with his son, as the little kid kept asking his dad "should i get this one? or this one?" and his dad, too busy rummaging through his own box yelped out "get whatever you want, i'll go through your box when i'm done with mine"...sick of his crappy dad's attitude i started to grab the "hot" cars from the kid's box and put them in his "keep" pile...
what the hell is wrong with this guy...

later after the 1st round was done...

he refused to wait in line like everyone else for round 2 and i had to mention to him that there was a line (even though he knew there was) and he freaked out on me and began to scream at me saying "you're not in charge here" so i got upset, especially seeing his own son's reaction, scared, sad & staring down at the floor clutching his kday box of cars...in an obvious act of shame... and i barked back "HEY DUDE YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A JERK, we are all following the rules and waiting in line...NICE ONE JERK!"

then he continued to talk sh*t about me to another collector while i was going through the 2nd box (since i was 1st in line for round 2)...he proceeded to call me a bit*h...and that's when i turned and told him to shut the hell up and he flinched because he thought i was going to punch him in the face... (i should have but he would have tried to sue me and/or press charges on me)... then he started to babble about freedom of speech and that's what makes this country great...oh my gawd... he would not shut up... this guy was a total scumbag weasel type.

later a few collectors came over to me and said thank you for saying something to him...and that he was a jerk and didn't belong in such a well mannered happy group.

people can be the biggest as*hats when it comes to these STUPID NOT-REALLY-RARE treasure hunts...

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Mine would be just getting up and going to the Store and be bombarded with the Collectors who know me asking what is the newest rarest HW in these cases.... Like I can see through / inside the cardboard boxes before I open the Case ??? :lol: ....

Last Event before this one I was approached by 3 families asking me what should they grab and I turned to them and said buy what grabs your attention and enjoy the event. I have become a K Day go-to-guy for info and not too sure who tipped these famlies off but it needs to stop soon or I am going to a different Kmart Store.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
What bothers me the most and continues to bother me is when I see guys with a large entourage of family and friends recruited by him to snag as many boxes as possible for himself. In most instances they don't care(the family/friends), they simply hand their box to Dad and he ends up with 6 boxes in front of him. This time "he" brought his son and girlfriend(early 20s, son is an action figure guy), his wife, son's girlfriend's friend(clueless chick), and his 12ish year old daughter who obviously did NOT want to be there. The 12yo sat in the corner and stared/typed into her cellphone the entire time. When it was her turn to get a box she walked up to the table(while staring intently at her cellphone), never looked up, just grabbed a box and walked over and dropped it on the table in front of her dad and went back to the corner and cellphone.Once everbody had gotten their box the employee drew numbers for the remaining 6 boxes. "He" and his entourage got the first 3 extra boxes for a total of 9 of 24 boxes. Another young couple brought their 2 young daughters(one was maybe 5yo and the other basically a TODDLER), so they got their 4 boxes and then drew 2 of the final 6, leaving one box for everyone else to have a shot at. One guy had 6 boxes and another guy had 9 boxes, leaving 9 (out of 24 boxes) for the other 8 people in attendance. Of course I did not draw the last box(I never do). It's like this at almost every event. It will be 5 years since I got a super hunt at Kday this november. I got the very first super ever released(C6R Vette) back in november 2007, none since then because of these jerks. Most of the other people at the event are friendly and it's good to see those guys a couple times a year but it is frustrating for those of us whose families live far away or don't have 15 kids to bring along.
I swear that one time I am going up to the local 7-11 where all of the day labor latinos hang out and load up about 20 of them in my truck and pay them $10-20ea to go to the event with/for me just to prove a point.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine would be just getting up and going to the Store and be bombarded with the Collectors who know me asking what is the newest rarest HW in these cases.... Like I can see through / inside the cardboard boxes before I open the Case ??? :lol: ....

Last Event before this one I was approached by 3 families asking me what should they grab and I turned to them and said buy what grabs your attention and enjoy the event. I have become a K Day go-to-guy for info and not too sure who tipped these famlies off but it needs to stop soon or I am going to a different Kmart Store.
wow that does stink.
thankfully i'm not that reputable so i don't get the barrage of questions...
i do like to help kids out here and there though...like during this past k day...i met 3 kids all about 18 yrs old...and they just started collecting...neither of them ever got a treasure hunt...k-day happens and they all come up...one of them even gets a super...during the rummage session i had to point out the rover and the pig as cars to definitely get because they didn't know about them and were fans of the muscle cars.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, at mine there was this guy who...oh wait, no Kmart within 100 miles of me :p
that sucks.
did you know that in the week before k-day happens, kmart.com puts up a bunch of "36 pack" cases, which are the cases that they use for k-day...
if you don't mind spending a little more....you can have your own personal k-day as soon as 9 am hits next k-day, which i believe will be in november...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What bothers me the most and continues to bother me is when I see guys with a large entourage of family and friends recruited by him to snag as many boxes as possible for himself. In most instances they don't care(the family/friends), they simply hand their box to Dad and he ends up with 6 boxes in front of him. This time "he" brought his son and girlfriend(early 20s, son is an action figure guy), his wife, son's girlfriend's friend(clueless chick), and his 12ish year old daughter who obviously did NOT want to be there. The 12yo sat in the corner and stared/typed into her cellphone the entire time. When it was her turn to get a box she walked up to the table(while staring intently at her cellphone), never looked up, just grabbed a box and walked over and dropped it on the table in front of her dad and went back to the corner and cellphone.Once everbody had gotten their box the employee drew numbers for the remaining 6 boxes. "He" and his entourage got the first 3 extra boxes for a total of 9 of 24 boxes. Another young couple brought their 2 young daughters(one was maybe 5yo and the other basically a TODDLER), so they got their 4 boxes and then drew 2 of the final 6, leaving one box for everyone else to have a shot at. One guy had 6 boxes and another guy had 9 boxes, leaving 9 (out of 24 boxes) for the other 8 people in attendance. Of course I did not draw the last box(I never do). It's like this at almost every event. It will be 5 years since I got a super hunt at Kday this november. I got the very first super ever released(C6R Vette) back in november 2007, none since then because of these jerks. Most of the other people at the event are friendly and it's good to see those guys a couple times a year but it is frustrating for those of us whose families live far away or don't have 15 kids to bring along.
I swear that one time I am going up to the local 7-11 where all of the day labor latinos hang out and load up about 20 of them in my truck and pay them $10-20ea to go to the event with/for me just to prove a point.
we had 3 groups like that...
one guy had his wife and 3 kids but luckily they only gave him 3 boxes total.

there was another group...TOOOOTALLY NOT COLLECTORS... over weight gross woman wearing a stained tank top and her meth-head boyfriend...they tried to get a 3rd case by using their 1 yr old but the manager said no.

during their rummage they kept screaming out, "get the rover, the pig and the treasure hunt" ew

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Everything was orderly at mine. The lady that ran it set the rules before it began. One of the rules was if a child gets picked that child could get no help from anyone and only one case per person.
The only sad thing was a lady brought two young boys. The first round one got chosen. The second round the other boy got chosen. The second boy was all smiles that he was going to get to look in a box soon. The lady looked at her watch and had to go so she made the boy leave before he got to look in his box. The look on the boys face was heart breaking. All he needed was 5 more minutes. He walked away with his head down and a sad look on his face.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything was orderly at mine. The lady that ran it set the rules before it began. One of the rules was if a child gets picked that child could get no help from anyone and only one case per person.
The only sad thing was a lady brought two young boys. The first round one got chosen. The second round the other boy got chosen. The second boy was all smiles that he was going to get to look in a box soon. The lady looked at her watch and had to go so she made the boy leave before he got to look in his box. The look on the boys face was heart breaking. All he needed was 5 more minutes. He walked away with his head down and a sad look on his face.
oh man talk about HEART BREAKER!!!

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
local guy pays his family to gather up hunts and a the empty boxes

I would have kept yelling at the guy. That's just me though. I'm confrontational

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I don't think I could attend one of those events. Aside from the fact that we haven't had K Mart in years, I wouldn't like to see that side of the hobby. It's been pretty enjoyable so far and to see those antics coming from "adults" over a toy car would make me a little sick.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I don't think I could attend one of those events. Aside from the fact that we haven't had K Mart in years, I wouldn't like to see that side of the hobby. It's been pretty enjoyable so far and to see those antics coming from "adults" over a toy car would make me a little sick.
I have been to three Kdays. Two in Alabama and the latest here in Ohio where I am visiting family and all have been orderly. I was talking to one of the locals and he said he collected about everything and had purchased over 1000 HWs this year. All of the new colors that I saw in my box that I didn't want I handed to him. I have enjoyed all three. I think the horror stories are not the norm at these events.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
here's mine:
where i'm from most of the collectors are JERKS!
had one A-HOLE at our kday with his 8 yr old son...
douche bag didn't even want to enjoy the collecting experience with his son, as the little kid kept asking his dad "should i get this one? or this one?" and his dad, too busy rummaging through his own box yelped out "get whatever you want, i'll go through your box when i'm done with mine"...sick of his crappy dad's attitude i started to grab the "hot" cars from the kid's box and put them in his "keep" pile...
what the hell is wrong with this guy...

later after the 1st round was done...

he refused to wait in line like everyone else for round 2 and i had to mention to him that there was a line (even though he knew there was) and he freaked out on me and began to scream at me saying "you're not in charge here" so i got upset, especially seeing his own son's reaction, scared, sad & staring down at the floor clutching his kday box of cars...in an obvious act of shame... and i barked back "HEY DUDE YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A JERK, we are all following the rules and waiting in line...NICE ONE JERK!"

then he continued to talk sh*t about me to another collector while i was going through the 2nd box (since i was 1st in line for round 2)...he proceeded to call me a bit*h...and that's when i turned and told him to shut the hell up and he flinched because he thought i was going to punch him in the face... (i should have but he would have tried to sue me and/or press charges on me)... then he started to babble about freedom of speech and that's what makes this country great...oh my gawd... he would not shut up... this guy was a total scumbag weasel type.

later a few collectors came over to me and said thank you for saying something to him...and that he was a jerk and didn't belong in such a well mannered happy group.

people can be the biggest as*hats when it comes to these STUPID NOT-REALLY-RARE treasure hunts...
had an Atard like that a few events back but he was alone.after everyone got their boxes we all started to go through the cars but he wanted to make sure that he was the only one to check all the cars for varrations so he wanted to card placed just right.i just went and grad the other cars i wanted extras for the promo.he got all huffy and we got into it.he grab an arm full of cars and went off in a corner to look though them making a mess on the way.most of us at the kmart i got to have know eachother for years since 04 we all get along and they said just lay him out we will vouvhe for you when the cops come...lol.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Never been to one of the K-Mart days but the stories are always interesting

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I agree with you, I was telling the GF last week that it Kday Saturday and she asked if I wanted to go and I said no. I wanted to but I just don't want to see the seady side of the hobby.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My story was a mix of good and bad.
I had been away on business that week and was scheduled to come home that friday at midnight. My cousin and fiance (two different people, just to make that clear! haha) found out about the Kday through a flyer and told me about it. I had never been to one before, and never even knew about them untill I found HT forums this year. So now it's saturday and I'm all excited. Glad my fiance came with me too but we had no idea what to expect so we arrived an hour early. We ended up eating at the Nathan's in the store for breakfast and finally went to the toy dept when it was time. There were about 30 people there (men, women, and kids). The cases come out (I forget how many but it was quite a few) and the woman running the show hands this young boy the string of raffle tickets. Now this little kid is like 6yrs old and doing the best he can to distribute the tickets. He's ripping one ticket at a time for each person and is being super polite. very cute. Well at this point he father is watching and you can tell he's getting upset. Then the dad grabs the tickets from the kid and says "the way your doing that isn't gonna work. You're taking forever!" HE then proceeds to rip and distrubute the tickets. when that was done he then tells the kid if the kid's # gets called DAD is the one to go and get the car's because HE'S the one that COLLECTS CARS and his son just plays with them. At this point my fiance and i are looking at eachother and some other people around us just shaking our heads. An older gentleman and his to grand kids were standing next to us and we began talking about the hobby. He was super cool and even gave me a printout of what cars to look for if i get my # called. So they call the #'s and lo&behold mine was the first one. I was wicked happy felt like i was 8 again. so cool. well as i walk up i can see scowls and hear sighs of frustration. I end up finding everything in my case except the orange chevelle TH (i got the super charger). so now i'm double happy. After all the numbers were called alot of grown men started getting really PO'ed. One guy was mad that his number didnt get called and he felt it wasn't right because there were new people that he had never seen before there (still not sure if it was a comment dirrected at me). The dad of the year kept swearing and saying "this is stressing me out there are too many people here. I'm not coming here anymore!". Another was all huffy puffy saying he was getting out of the hobby because this was just unfair. After all the excitment there was just a few of us standing around the table going through what was left. The older man and his grandkids and a few other guys. We all talked about the "bad apples" that were there and also helped eachother find certain cars or variants/errors and such, and had nice fun conversation about the hobby in general. Real good guys at the end.
I guess the whole experiance as a whole was pretty cool. I'll definately be at the next one. I just find it unfortunate that people gotta be like that. I'm sure you all agree. On the other side of the coin Getting the first # called was cool. Getting an awesome box to open was cooler. Finally getting to meet some real nice friendly fellow collectors was probably the best part. Thanks to all of you guys that make the hobby and events like this enjoyable.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
Dads only? That's BS!

I used to work at Kmart and I ran the event. My events never had problems. I was also the head of loss prevention so if there was an issue I just had one of my guys toss people out of the store

·
Banned
565 Posts
I agree with you, I was telling the GF last week that it Kday Saturday and she asked if I wanted to go and I said no. I wanted to but I just don't want to see the seady side of the hobby.
Oh come on Dave that is Half the fun. You have to be at my store at least by 6:30 am as this is when the Jack Monkey in my area comes and sits in his car till he sees another car pull up then he will go stand at the door so he can be the first one in the store. Then when the doors open and someone gets back there before he does, he cries like a baby because he was the first one in the parking lot and should be the first name on the list. :rolleyes: We don't raffle them off at our store, we sign a piece of paper and they go down the list handing out cases then if there are left over cases they start from the top of the list again till the cases are gone. Quite honestly I wish they would raffle them off.

You should go just once Dave you never know you might have a good time, not all stores have grown men crying over a $1 toy.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts